PDA

View Full Version : Text Form Field

austenr
08-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know how to add a text form field to a word document? I need to add one to a letter. I tried to add one to the attached letter but it goes away when I try to type. Any help would be appreciated.

mvesaas
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi, :hi:

Well what are you trying to do with the Form Field?

If you would just like it to stay there as a place holder, but have text in it to begin with, you can double click on it, and type in text where it says: default text. Then, click OK, and you should see your text IN the form field.

austenr
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
What i was hoping for was for it to stay highlighted until text is typen in the field. Also, everytime you open the file, all form fields would be highlighted so user know where to enter required information.

mvesaas
08-15-2005, 10:46 AM
:think: This may be as simple as setting up your view options for Forms correctly.

Make sure that you have your FORMS toolbar on. (View-Toolbars-Forms)

Then make sure that the small icon on the forms toolbar "a" is chosen. This is the toggle key for being able to see the formfields.

You could write a macro to toggle the "form field shading" option.
This is the code to either turn on/off the form field shading.

ActiveDocument.FormFields.Shaded = Not ActiveDocument.FormFields.Shaded

fumei
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
If a document is set up properly with formfields, then there is NO issue with where to enter information. The user can only enter information into the formfields.

The document you posted did not have any formfields in it.

As mentioned, you can have all formfields shaded. The user would see all the formfields, and could only move between them.

Could you restate your problem?

MOS MASTER
08-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Austen you should protect the document for forms to use the formfields as inputs.

Otherwise you type over them just like you say.

You could also use a Blank Macro button that would disappear after you click and type on it.

With a field code like:

{ MACROBUTTON NOMACRO <Click and type> } (Use CTRL+F9 to start the field hooks)

Go to Tools | Options | View | Fieldshading choose Always.

That should get you sorted. :whistle: