PDA

View Full Version : Error Message Question

DBinPhilly
05-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Circumstance: A database shared by 2 workstations. the Back End is on a shared Network drive, the front ends reside on each workstation.

I'm told that when a user is entering data on one workstation and someone signs into the program on the other workstation, bad things happen.

Tonight there was a database corruption. A memo field was left with #ERROR in it which required a compact and repair of the back end.

The following message was displayed when attempting to access the memo field within the affected table:

The Microsoft Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

As far as I know, that is not what is happening. Each user is entering his own record into the tables. It is a somewhat complex form, with 3 or more subforms referring to related tables, but the main table is the one that is being corrupted.

This has happened twice in the last week.

Any ideas on how to prevent this problem?

The user is running MS Access 2007 on a Windows XP machine. I believe the second user is Windows 7 and MS Access 2010.

Doug Robbins
05-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Sorry,

I thought I was in another question so my response would have been meaningless

asherman86
05-28-2013, 12:20 PM
How to prevent this problem:

Never use Microsoft Access for any reason under any circumstances because SQL Server Express is free.

DBinPhilly
05-28-2013, 12:36 PM
no offense, but I can't agree with your opinion.

I've used SQL server in a number of instances, but only using a Micrsoft Access Project file (.adp). Mostly a pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned. I'm not crazy about writing stored procedures and views and running them using VBA. And setting up and maintaining permissions was annoying in earlier versions of SQL Server - haven't tried anything newer than SQL Server 2003, so maybe I'm wrong. In my environment where the users rarely have any technical expertise, when things go wrong, when they add workstations or new users, then I've got to deal with it.

But the other alternative is to load the data to SQL Server and then link to a .mdb or .accdb database, using MS Jet anyway, which theoretically is actually slower than a standard Access database.

I've written a couple of hundred MS Access databases and they rarely corrupt. They are just fine in most circumstances requiring relatively few workstations (usually no more than 10), and are for me at least, easier to maintain than .adp databases.

So perhaps I'm admitting to my personal weaknesses as a programmer, but OTOH, I'm certainly not ready to write off MS Access .mdb and .accdb databases so readily.

asherman86
05-28-2013, 12:40 PM
:: vomits all over Access ::

I hate VBA so much it makes my stomach hurt sitting here having to work with it.

DBinPhilly
05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Wow! why the heck are you bothering with a VBA and MS Access forum?

Have your bosses tied your hands, led you to a workstation and forced you to work with this?

btw, Access is a terrific tool for those who know how to use it.

I guess you don't.

And for those of us who grew up on QBasic and gwbasic and those other pc-oriented original programming languages from the early 80's, VBA is just fine. It gets the job done seamlessly and quickly.
Need to get a program up quickly, accurately, and which is easy for a user to understand? I'll go head to head with you against any other development tool.

HiTechCoach
05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Any ideas on how to prevent this problem?

The user is running MS Access 2007 on a Windows XP machine. I believe the second user is Windows 7 and MS Access 2010.

Make sue the machine with Access 2007 has at least the SP2 update installed.

Network/LAN connection issues can cause this.
Are the workstions on a wired LAN?

also see: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

PS: I am ignoring the babbling of asherman86.