PDA

View Full Version : mouse scroll wheel question

DBinPhilly
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I remember in earlier versions of MS Access (95 & 2000), a user could corrupt a table with a memo field by using the scroll wheel of the mouse and essentially scrolling right out of the record.

This is in a bound form with the cycle property set as Current Record.

The problem appeared to be resolved with MS Access 2003, but a number of users who have moved to 2007 & 2010 are now complaining of corruption problems.

Are other developers familiar with this problem and is there a fix, like disabling the scroll wheel?

I'm not sure I've identified what is causing the corruption problem. This is a theory I'm working on.

FYI, database is FE/BE with each user having their own workstation resident front end and the back end sitting on the server or NAS device.

HiTechCoach
06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
You have set up your Access application following Best Practices for multiple users.

I have never disabled the Mouse wheel within Access 2003 or late. I have not found it to be a cause of database record corruption.

When I see database corruption it is normally a networking issue. The most common issues I see is with Network interruption. A bad NIC, cable, or switch can cause network interruption. When there is a temporary drop in the network connection it can cause a record to get corrupted.

I have found Wireless networks to be a common cause of corruption. I will only support an Access app over a wireless network when using an SQL Server back end.

I have also seen a corrupted JET/ACE engine cause issues. I have seen different versions of JET 4 on the workstation on the same network cause issues.