PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Auto-copy if 'Yes'

Dowsey1977
08-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that details a load of documents that are required to be produced dependant on the size of a group of people.

What I want to do is categorize these groups into Large, Medium, Normal and Small and then assign documents to the size of group.
So currently I have a load of rows with documents listed. I want to add 4 columns at the end of each row, 1 for each group size, and then if the user enters 'Yes' into the cell under large for example then that document is copied to a new sheet, under a 'Large' heading. On the same row a document could be assigned to more than 1 group though.

Does anyone know if this is possible??

MWE
08-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that details a load of documents that are required to be produced dependant on the size of a group of people.

What I want to do is categorize these groups into Large, Medium, Normal and Small and then assign documents to the size of group.
So currently I have a load of rows with documents listed. I want to add 4 columns at the end of each row, 1 for each group size, and then if the user enters 'Yes' into the cell under large for example then that document is copied to a new sheet, under a 'Large' heading. On the same row a document could be assigned to more than 1 group though.

Does anyone know if this is possible??
This does not sound very difficult to do. I assume that if the "Yes" is found in more than one group, you wish the document info to be copied to each appropriate sheet.

A few questions:
1. how many people will be using this spreadsheet and if more than one, how do you propose to manage access?
2. if a user enters Yes into a row/col combination, say, Document #4 and Large, do you want the document info to be copied to the "Large" sheet immediately? Or would you prefer, say, a button that performs all updates when pressed?
3. do you want to create the "Large", "Medium", etc sheets manually or have them created automatically (if not already present)?
4. what happens to the document data after it is copied? Given the possibility that the same data could be copied to multiple group sheets, I assume that the data stays in the main sheet after being copied.
5. who adds info (other than Yes) to the main sheet? Should it and/or the group sheets be protected?
6. is the sequence or sorted order of the sheets important? For example, do you want the group sheets sorted in any way after each addition?
7. do you care "when" info is moved to a group sheet, e.g., do you want any form of timestamping done?
8. do you care "who" entered data and caused changes to occur?
9. what, if any, followup do you want managed, e.g., after something is assigned to, say, group "Large", what then?
10. do you want any versioning done at the end of a session (so earlier versions of the spreadsheet are not lost)?

Dowsey1977
08-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Ok....

1) I was thinking about either sharing and splitting/merging the spreadsheet, although I doubt this will allow macros to work?? In which case, just locally savied copies, or just use 1 at a time
2) I think I would want it to be copied immediately
3) I think the other sheets would be put there manually at the outset and just remain
4) Yep, would want the data to stay on the main sheet also
5) I think at the moment just I would be adding the data to the main sheet, but no real need to protect the sheet
6) Don't need the sheets to be ordered
7) Don't care when info is moved
8) Don't care who moved the info
9) I think for ease, at the moment I just want to deal with moving the information. I do have some plans, but I think it would get too complext to mention it all in this message
10) No need for version control

:thumb