PDA

View Full Version : table of content

reinedd
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I have a Word file and I would like to create a table of contents where every words in the document appears with the page number so i cant change the formatting.

Thanks

EricFletcher
07-11-2013, 05:34 AM
You'll need to clarify this. Do you perhaps mean an index instead of a table of contents? And what do you mean by not changing the format?

FYI, an index is created by setting words in an XE field, and then using the INDEX field code to assemble a sorted list of all XE fields with the page numbers where they are found. It is dynamix, so can change when reformatting causes the indexed words to be located on a differnt page.

reinedd
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
You're right it's a index and I just donc want to make every word a title because it would change the font size.

thanks

fumei
07-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Why would you make every word a title? What would be the connection? An index has nothing specicially to do with a title style. I am assuming you are talking about a title style, otherwise why would there be a font sie change?

reinedd
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
found a solution thanks

fumei
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Then please post what is that solution. It is good etiquette to post a self found solution in case someone else may come across the thread. Thanks.

Also, if it is solved please mark threads as as Solved.

bradely
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Can you tell me what is the solution...?
I am waiting for your reply :)

EricFletcher
07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
You're right it's a index and I just donc want to make every word a title because it would change the font size.
Were you able to set up an index? As you probably discovered, adding the index mark doesn't affect the font.

FYI, the XE and INDEX field codes have a number of switches that are not included in the default interface. You can create more functional indexes (indices?) if you edit the field codes to add the switches. For example, you can use switches to generate an index from only a specific part of a document (bookmark switch) or have >1 index for, say, general topics, people's names or technical terms (identifier switch). See Microsoft's online help page for XE (Mark index) (http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/field-codes-xe-index-entry-field-HP005186216.aspx) and INDEX (http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/field-codes-index-field-HP005186209.aspx) field codes.

Use Alt-F9 to toggle between seeing the field codes and their results so you can edit to add or alter switches.