PDA

View Full Version : Working with three workbooks

rodtt
07-17-2013, 10:27 AM
This might prove too complicated for me, as I'm very inexperienced. If it prooves so, I might just make other sheets with data from the second and third workbooks.

I need my excel file to check two others for some information, and add them to the first one if the same ID is found on the first and second or third file. I also need the second or third file to register it was added on the first.

I think this is irrelevant here, but, anyway, this ID won't repeat on second and third file.

I know how to make a code to do the search in another sheet, but I don't know how to work with two or more different files.

I see both files are shown on VBA project window when both opened, but I need both to be linked so I don't need to open both files all the time.

Thanks in advance!

rodtt
07-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Let me be more objective.

I'm working on an excel file and I need it to search for an ID in a closed excel file, retrieve the information on an specific column, insert it back on my main file and register on the closed file (in a new column) that it was inserted back there.

rodtt
07-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Still struggling on this...

GTO
07-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Greetings,

I would suggest zipping three small workbooks and posting the zip. Show your basic layout in the workbooks being searched, and what info you want retrieved (and where the info is supposed to end up in the "calling" workbook.

In gist - it is easier for any "helper" if we are doing less guessing and are more clear as to exactly what you are wanting to do. For instance, from what you have posted thus far, I at least, wouldn't have a clue as to whether we should just be checking one particular sheet in the source workbooks, or checking all sheets...

Hope that helps,

Mark

rodtt
07-19-2013, 09:23 PM
You are right!
I'm posting a file on this message. It's just a template for both my data source files and the main one.

My problem is I want to use two closed excel files to retrieve data from column V, add it to my main file and register in this closed file, on Column W, that the data was retrieved. The data will be searched with ID column as reference.

The info retrieved should be inserted on the first empty row of Column D (on "Créditos") and a little text message through columns A and C.

I don't want to actually open those files, just to do those operations above and save them.

Thanks!