PDA

View Full Version : Display total editing time of a MS Word doc either in the document itself or in QAT

majdnem
07-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Is it possible to display the total editing time of a MS Word 2007 document either in the document itself or in the quick access toolbar?

I know you can access this info through Office Button> Prepare > Properties > "Document Properties" > "Advanced Properties..." > "Statistics"

I'm hoping to be able to easily monitor how long i have spent editing a document from within Word/the document itself, without using a separate countdown/timer or having to go digging through multiple menu steps, as above.

Am googled-out from trying to find an extant way to do this, but don't have the skills to code for it myself.

Hope someone has some ideas.

Thanks!

Majdnem

fumei
07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
You could make a simple macro:

Sub DisplayEditingTime()
MsgBox ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties(13)
End Sub

and assign it to the QAT, or as a keyboard shortcut. It displays (or returns) the total editing time in minutes.

Caveat though. Total editing time means the time the document is open. So if you have the document open and go away for lunch and come back an hour later, that time is included. Also if you save and close the file, when you reopen it the total time means just that. The previous total continues. In other words, total editing time has NO relationship to actually doing anything, nor does it have anything to do with the CURRENT session (other than the current session is added to the running total time).

If you want to add editing time into the document just use the above to put that value somewhere.

majdnem
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow - surprised to get such a fast response, and with a simple, hassle free solution to the problem.
Really appreciate your help - the code works perfectly.
Thanks!
:O)

You could make a simple macro:

Sub DisplayEditingTime()
MsgBox ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties(13)
End Sub

and assign it to the QAT, or as a keyboard shortcut. It displays (or returns) the total editing time in minutes.

Caveat though. Total editing time means the time the document is open. So if you have the document open and go away for lunch and come back an hour later, that time is included. Also if you save and close the file, when you reopen it the total time means just that. The previous total continues. In other words, total editing time has NO relationship to actually doing anything, nor does it have anything to do with the CURRENT session (other than the current session is added to the running total time).

If you want to add editing time into the document just use the above to put that value somewhere.