PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Warning

DBinPhilly
08-04-2013, 08:07 AM
On a workstation one of my customers uses (under MS Access 2007, Windows 7)

When my access application is turned on, they get the following message:

Compatibility Warning: This database uses features which may be incompatible with the current version of (my database name).

The database is an .accdb, but is working under both Access 2007 and Access 2010 at other accounts. Following MS Access Help it lists possible compatibility issues, none of which apply in this case.

Any ideas? It's a very annoying message that will not go away.

mrojas
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Have you tried to split the database into front and back-end? Make the back-end a plain .mdb

SamT
09-11-2013, 05:16 AM
@ MRojas,

Can you explain a little better what the differences are between a front end and a back end and why it would help?

TIA,

mrojas
09-11-2013, 07:35 AM
The front and back end databases work in tandem with each other; the back-end database has nothing but all the tables used by the application; the front-end has everything else, queries, reports, forms, modules and others. All the tables in the back-end are "linked" to the front-end. If you distribute your applications, you would save yourself time and grief by splitting the application this way. When is time to make code, forms, report, or queries modifications, you do this in the front-end without affecting the user's data. Making the back-end a plain .mdb allows the front-end to run under newer versions of Access, and because there's, to a great extent, backwards compatibility, your application will run with fewer compatibility problems.

SamT
09-11-2013, 04:15 PM
:thumb

Can I steal that? I'm talking to another person about migrating from an Excel driven App to to a web based DB driven one..

mrojas
09-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Go for it.

DBinPhilly
09-13-2013, 07:55 AM
I've started distributing a package to multiple customers. If they don't have MS Access 2010 I am using Access runtime - something I have never worked with before.

One user reports that he cannot cut and paste in runtime. I've tried it myself and he is right.

Is this a caste in bronze problem or is there a solution?

DBinPhilly
09-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I've learned from another source that the 'right click' method of copying/pasting does not work under runtime.

instead ctrl c to copy then ctrl v to paste.

DBinPhilly
09-13-2013, 09:06 AM
mrojas:

yes, this is a front-end/back-end database. I sit the back end on the network drive and distribute the front end to each user's workstation.

I'm getting an error message but not being impeded in any other way.

SamT
09-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Do all users with all versions get the same message? If not, what is different about that user's computer?

Try writing a Stub that just opens the DB of use, then closes it. Test the Stub on several computers.

Look into Compiler constants and add some compiler tests for different versions of the local machines Access version to the Stub.

DBinPhilly
09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Only one user is getting this error message. All other users are running either MS Access 2010 or MS Access 2010 runtime.

The user with the error message is running MS Access 2007.

SamT
09-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I moved the posts from your Access Runtime thread to this one as it seems to me that they are both about the same issue. They will appear to be out of order with the original posts in this thread.

If this Runtime has solved the compatibility issue, can you mark this thread as solved.

Otherwise let us know how we can continue to help.