PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Duplicate Master from Brettdj

Diakonos1984
09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Some years ago Brettdj created Duplicate Master V2.18 and I found it somewhere. It's infancy was this forum (though I can't post a link, since I don't have enough cred...)

I am trying to incorporate it into some code I am writing. Right now, I have to pause my automation, manually run his tool, and then restart the automation. I would like to be able to seamlessly automate the whole thing.

Unfortunately, his tool is password protected... Anyone know the password, or how to at least call some of his subs/functions? I know he's on this forum occasionally, but I can't PM him until I have 10 posts... lol.

Thanks!

SamT
09-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I sent brett a PM for you

Diakonos1984
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks SamT!

SamT
09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Diakonos,

I looked up his posts on the forum and the last was from 2006, so he may no longer be available.

We should be able to duplicate the results that you need, or we can help you access his Add-in thru the custom tool bars the addin uses.

If you are only trying to use one or two addin functions, it is probably best to develop your own solution, so that you never have to depend on an unavailable resource in the future.

Diakonos1984
09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Sam, that would be great. I tried to develop my own solution a while back, and it didn't work consistently so I abandoned it in favor of his.

Here is the short version of what I am trying to do. I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed.

I have a large spreadsheet (5000+ rows, with 50+ columns). It is a database report of items that have relationships, and it ends up listing every possible permutation of the related items. Roughly half of this spreadsheet ends up being rows made up entirely of duplicate data.

What I need to be able to do is search each (or better yet search only selected) columns and identify duplicate data, differentiating between first instance and subsequent instances. Then I need to delete each row that contains ONLY duplicate data. If a row contains even one unique or first instance item, it is NOT to be deleted.

Right now I am using his tool to color the first instance red and subsequent instances blue. Unique items are not colored. I have written code to then search each row from the bottom up, and delete all rows that contain ONLY blue cells. I admit the colors are a waste of time, but since my attempt at identifying duplicates wasn't working, I was stuck with this kludge.

Any good ideas or code snippets are greatly appreciated!

Diakonos1984
09-05-2013, 09:15 AM
FYI: Sam, I'm not sure about your info on Brettdj. The post I was looking at was from 2009, titled Wanted: Testing and feedback of Duplicate Master addin V2.0

His profile says his last activity was 07-05-2013 01:35 AM.

SamT
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
:thumb

snb
09-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Excel 2010 has a built in remove duplicates facility.

Diakonos1984
09-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Excel 2007 (which I am using) also has a Remove Duplicates function, but it is not sophisticated enough for what I need to do:
Delete entire rows in which each column contains ONLY duplicates. Rows containing duplicates AND unique items are NOT deleted.

I took a stab at writing the complete code to do this. It works, but it takes a very long time. I posted it on this forum as a new thread at
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?47426-Find-duplicates-in-each-column-then-delete-rows-containing-only-Subsequent-duplicate&p=296644#post296644
I would appreciate it if you could look at and suggest performance enhancements!

Thanks guys!

SamT
09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Marked thread solved because OP moved question to new thread

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...644#post296644 (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?47426-Find-duplicates-in-each-column-then-delete-rows-containing-only-Subsequent-duplicate&p=296644#post296644)

brettdj
09-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys, I'm not as active here as I once was :)

I have removed my articles from EE, so both the Duplicate Master and Mappit! are available from my skydrive files

See http://stackoverflow.com/users/641067/brettdj