PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] VBA Format to Sheet Array

hobbiton73
09-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Hi, I wonder whether someone can help me please.

I'm trying to run the following script to apply formatting to multiple sheets within an array.

Sub FormatCells()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets(Array("Direct Activities", "Enhancements", "Indirect Activities", "Overheads", "Projects"))
ws.Range("B6:R6").Font.Bold = True
.Font.ColorIndex = 2
.Cells.Font.Name = "Lucida Sans"
.Cells.Font.Size = 10
.NumberFormat = "mmm-yy"
.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.Interior.ColorIndex = 11
ws.Range("B2").Value = "Current Month"
.Offset(, 1).Value = "Working Days"
.Offset(1, 0).Value = MonthName(Month(Date))
.Offset(1, 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=NETWORKDAYS(R[1]C-DAY(R[1]C)+1,DATE(YEAR(R[1]C),MONTH(R[1]C)+1,0))"
ws.Range("B2:C2").Font.Bold = True
.Cells.Font.Size = 12
ws.Range("B3:C3").Font.Bold = True
.Cells.Font.Size = 11
.Interior.ColorIndex = 37

ws.Columns("B:Q").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Next ws
End Sub

The problem I have is that when I try to run this, I receive a compile error, highlighting this line as the cause:
.Font.ColorIndex = 2

Could someone perhaps explain to me please why, and what would be the correct way in which to write this type of script.

Many thanks and kind regards

mancubus
09-18-2013, 06:18 AM
hi, hobbiton. just check the next line to see what is missing. :)

hobbiton73
09-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi @mancubus, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Ok, so this is obviously the
ws.Range("B6:R6") but could you possibly tell me please, is there a method of writing this without having to put the
ws.Range("B6:R6") at the beginning of each line?

Many thanks and kind regards

Kenneth Hobs
09-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Use With. e.g.

Sub FormatCells()
Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets(Array("Direct Activities", "Enhancements", "Indirect Activities", "Overheads", "Projects"))
With ws.Range("B6:R6")
.Font.Bold = True
.Font.ColorIndex = 2
.Cells.Font.Size = 10
.NumberFormat = "mmm-yy"
ws.Range("B2").Value = "Current Month"
.Offset(, 1).Value = "Working Days"
.Offset(1, 0).Value = MonthName(Month(Date))
.Offset(1, 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=NETWORKDAYS(R[1]C-DAY(R[1]C)+1,DATE(YEAR(R[1]C),MONTH(R[1]C)+1,0))"
ws.Range("B2:C2").Font.Bold = True
.Cells.Font.Size = 12
ws.Range("B3:C3").Font.Bold = True
.Cells.Font.Size = 11
.Interior.ColorIndex = 37
ws.Columns("B:Q").EntireColumn.AutoFit
End With
Next ws
End Sub

mancubus
09-18-2013, 06:30 AM
looking at the entirety of the code... "With...End With" block is also missing. and some other parts as well..

mancubus
09-18-2013, 06:36 AM
following code is an my assumption for what you are trying to achieve. :)
Sub FormatCells() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In Worksheets(Array("Direct Activities", "Enhancements", "Indirect Activities", "Overheads", "Projects")) With ws With .Range("B6:R6") .Font.Bold = True .Font.ColorIndex = 2 .Font.Name = "Lucida Sans" .Font.Size = 10 .NumberFormat = "mmm-yy" .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter .Interior.ColorIndex = 11 End With With .Range("B2") .Value = "Current Month" .Offset(, 1).Value = "Working Days" .Offset(1, 0).Value = MonthName(Month(Date)) .Offset(1, 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=NETWORKDAYS(R[1]C-DAY(R[1]C)+1,DATE(YEAR(R[1]C),MONTH(R[1]C)+1,0))" End With With .Range("B2:C2") .Font.Bold = True .Font.Name = "Lucida Sans" .Font.Size = 12 .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter .Interior.ColorIndex = 11 End With With .Range("B3:C3") .Font.Bold = True .Cells.Font.Name = "Lucida Sans" .Cells.Font.Size = 11 .Interior.ColorIndex = 37 .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter End With .Columns("B:Q").EntireColumn.AutoFit End With Next wsEnd Sub

hobbiton73
09-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi @Kenneth Hobs, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and for the guidance.

Kind regards

mancubus
09-18-2013, 06:38 AM

hobbiton73
09-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Hi @mancubus, thank you very much for coming back to me with this and for putting the solution together.

Unfortunately I think something may have gone awry with the formatting?

Kind Regards

mancubus
09-18-2013, 06:44 AM
you are welcome.if you can post your workbook with fake data and displaying before and after situations, we may solve it.

hobbiton73
09-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Hi @mancubus, thank you but I don't think that I need to trouble you any longer. The guidance which I've received from yourself and @Kenneth Hobs has set me along the right path.

Kind Regards