PDA

View Full Version : Shared document/Multiple Users - tops please :)

CuriousGeorg
10-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Good morning,

I have a bit of a problem I am trying to get my head round. Si, in doing so I've discovered I may need to start from scratch.

Can I get some hints and tips to prevent corruption/errors and the like.
:)

I have a single workbook that will be used (and left open throughout the day) by several different users.
Each user will add a line of data on to the spreadsheet themselves using a user form.
Users are unlikely to be saving the file at exactly the same time but likely will be within the same 1-2 minutes.

(I'm sure you know whats coming).

What is the best way (or is there a validation code even), of doing this. At the minute I have issues where the excel file needs to be repaired every other day and handlers getting various other "sharing" errors like Run-time error 1004, file is locked. etc.

At the minute I have the sheet saving when they enter the user form so the sheet updates with other users data before they enter the information and again when they click OK.

I've got the leader of the users wanting to go back to the old form because it was individual but our spec is that one sheet is used for all users.

Aflatoon
10-02-2013, 02:13 AM
If your workbook is a Shared Workbook, I suggest you stop using that. If you can't use a 'proper' database program, I suggest using ADO to read/write the data with a closed workbook as the actual data storage.