PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic table on a user form.

Aussiebear
10-26-2013, 03:25 AM
I am trying to record a number of details regarding fishing trips. For example Location, Time, Method Used, Bait type, Target Species, Tide Times, Weather conditions, Sea Conditions, etc. Do I contract a dynamic table because sometimes fishing is slow and you need to search somewhere else or reintroduce a new row to show a change of location, or do I introduce a new row of text boxes to record the data?

On a really good fishing day, you might got to two different spots, but on a slow day it could be five or more?

SamT
10-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Ted, Is this a trick question?

One row of textboxes and record the data on a worksheeet.

Aussiebear
10-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Sorry Sam, but.... the form is currently all inclusive. Trip details ( Date, Home Port, Time of departure, POB, Trip time, Fuel used), Tide Details( Low & High tides and their times, Amount of expected tide run, moon Phase), Sea Conditions( Swell Height, Swell Direction, Swell Pattern, Cross Swell,Overall Comfort, Sea Surface Temp), Weather ( Air Pressure, Forecast, Cloud, Wind Direction, Wind Speed, Stability,Min Temp Max Temp) and finally Fishing Details ( Location, Time, Target, Method, Results and tide Height at time). Complex but over time I'd like to determine which parts are conducive to the best fishing days and where.

Tommy
10-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Well since it appears you are a salty fisherman (I say this because I fish the salt and without salt (I have High cholesterol so I have to be careful where I fish sometimes)) I would suggest that the location be in GPS cords. I think I would also include the time of moon rise and set, since this has bearing on when they bite. So that is about all I can see at the moment for additional items. Do you want to track salinity? Sometimes when it rains a lot the fish get run out of the bays I fish. I fish off a kayak so I don't wonder too far from shore. :)

I think I would look at using the tab control, most of the information could be stored in a day/trip tab. It would describe the day, moon, weather... just the common stuff. Then the extra tabs could be for the different stops for that day.

Aussiebear
10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Just take for example the last two trips out
Date; 25/10/13 Departed Rosslyn Bay 0430hrs 2 POB, Wind speed & Direction, Easterly 3 knots, Swell height & Direction, Nor East @ .5mtr @ 8 sec intervals, Air Pressure 1013 and falling, Forecast for Strong Wind Warning & 2.5 mtr seas by midday, Nil Cloud overhead, 90 mins to first location, Targeting Spanish Mackeral by trolling. Results 1landed 2 lost to sharks. Changed location at 7.50am targeting Red Emperor with squid baits, wind speed now 5 to 7 knots, Swell height and pattern increasing to .8mtr and 5 secs intervals (Some noticeable cross chop from the north). Results, 4 large mouth Nanygai, 1 red emperor. Changed location at 9.00am targeting red emperor with squid baits, seas and wind around the same, light clouds appearing over land and a bank of clouds to the south. First of the tiger sharks spotted circling the boat. Numerous patches of tuna on the surface and birds everywhere. Results, undersized nanygai, grunter and 1 coral trout (4 kg). Changed back to second location @9.40am, targeting reds with squid and fresh fish baits. Wind now around 10 knots and moving more nor easterly, Swell direction and height Mainly East nor East but increasing cross swell from the north and rising to 1.5 mfrs but still at just under 5 sec intervals. Can spot 3 or more tiger sharks within 30 mtrs of boat at this time. Results 2 red emperor ( 1x 3kg, 1 x 5.5 kgs) 4 Nanygai. Approaching Cloud bank to south (Caused by front) now about 140 klms away, 80 klms south of home port. Decision made to head in for the day. Fuel used 106 ltrs. Moon Phase last quarter (55% waning ), tide Low of 1.52mtrs at 4.57am, high of 2.95mtrs at 10.46am tide run 1.43 mtrs ( very small tide).

27/10/13, departed Rosslyn Bay at 4.35am 4 POB, wind speed & direction 2knts and Easterly, Swell Height & Direction, North Easterly 1mtr @ 7.3 sec intervals. Air pressure 1007 and increasing (High Pressure ridge forming over East Coast ). Light Cloud 2 octas, repeat of locations with nil results for Spanish Mackeral, changed to 2nd location at 7.30am targetting reds with Squid, not much action here so changed location at 8.15am, swell height increasing slightly and pattern around 6 sec interval. On to a patch of nanygai, 7 landed, one shark spotted but didn't stay, very few tuna on surface and only small numbers of birds. Changed to 4th location at 11.00am, seas increasing in height and cross swell from Nor Nor East @ 5.8 secs. Still targetting reds with Squid and fresh fish baits, 5 nanygai landed, young passenger complaining of motion sickness, so decision made to head home, fuel used 114 ltrs. Moon phase 35% waning. high tide of 3.48mtrs@12.18am low tide of 0.92 mtrs@ 6.29am, next high tide of 3.69 mtrs at 12.30pm.

Since some information needs to be recorded only once, others need to be recorded multiple times for the same event, hence the question regarding a dynamic table on a form.

Tommy
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I am probably missing something so what is a table on a form?

Aussiebear
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Rather than have multiple text boxes or cboboxes to enter the data on the sheet is it possible to enter data from a table on a form?

Aussiebear
10-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Don't worry about this as I've come across a nmber of articles regarding moon phase timing and this will require further detailed reading

Tommy
10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't know about that part of the world but I use the moon phases to help decide when to fish.
I also use a silver spoon with a wire leader for Spanish Mac, a gold spoon for reds. When I use live bait it is croaker/shrimp for trout, reds, and flounder.
tide tables http://www.tides4fishing.com/
I have some moon phasing but the links are at home.

Aussiebear
10-29-2013, 12:46 PM
@Tommy, it was www.tides4fishing.com that has energised my thinking towards the moon phase concept.

SamT
10-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Ted,

Here's the latest Story Board I've come up with. I'm stll not happy, but this shoulkd be enough to see if it is at least close to what you want.

I intend to move the Trip Planning and Passenger Manifest to their own sub Form, since you will be done with them once you get under way.

Test Form is where I am brain storming the Fishing Report section.

If the form labels aren't explanation enough, run the Form. Many controls have tool tips and most of the buttons at least show a MsgBox.

You will notice that some Inputs are duplicated, but they are all interactive and all feed the same Database.

I am also duplicating the most relevant Fuel log controls on the Fishing Log for convenience.

I really hope I done good for ya.

:ohwell:

It was fun.

SamT
10-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Ted,

Get distance between Lat-Log points:

http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/index.php/calculating-mileage-distance-in-excel-and-access/#more-4010

Aussiebear
11-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Still following up on the concept of lunar phases. There are significant differences between some programs as to the actual dates and or times of alleged higher than normal fish activity. Next test date of interest is the 16th.

Tommy
11-19-2013, 01:38 PM
And how did yo do on the 16th?

Aussiebear
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Raced out to "NewReef" 60k offshore, mostly small to just legal, got belted by a thunderstorm (lost an hour just trying to keep headed into the sea, then another hour bouncing around while the sea calmed down), moved 30k further north to a recommended hotspot, but by then the wind had turned nor nor west and fishing went dead. Next time going out to innaminka and haberfield shoals to test the concept. Thinking about thurs or Fri but weather's not good yet again. News this morning that a boatie is missing 200k offshore after raising alarm late last night.