PDA

View Full Version : Drop downs in Excel

mklindquist
10-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm trying to accomplish two different things with Excel and Drop downs.

1. I have identified data (document type list) on another worksheet in my workbook to use for Sheet1 drop down list (column b). Is it possible to also be able to just enter data into the drop down list cell? Like if there is a new form have the user be able to enter the new document type name instead?

2. From this same drop down list - depending on what document type list is selected in Column B - have another drop down in column C that is specific to that document type (will list documents specific to the document type). For example we have a document type called FA Loan Documents and a subset under that includes: Alternate Loan Documents, Entrance Loan Counseling, Loan Disclosure Statmeents, etc. We have another document type FA Agency Documents and the subset under that includes: Consortium Agreements, Gear Up Verification Form, Housing Development Forms and so on.

SimTide985
10-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to do something a little similar

This is what I'm trying to do:

1. When a user clicks on a Drop down box cell and selects a value (let's call it "Add New"), I would like a Macro to run
2. I want this Macro to open up a Dialog/Text box to say "Enter New Information" where the user can enter in some text
3. The text that is entered by the user into this box will be added as a new entry into the Drop down box selection

My VBA knowledge is still at a beginner's level and I'm not sure how to do this. I know how to get a Macro to run based on some cell value however I don't know how to create a Macro for the dialog box nor do I know how to create a Macro for updating the drop-down items from what gets entered into the box.