PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Make cert

gibbo1715
08-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Can anyone tell me how to run make cert instead of self cert to create my digital signature as i want to distribute some code over a network but want to leave all the security set to high without too much disruption to my users and without having to go round every machine?

Ken Puls
08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi there,

Self cert will do it for you. You just need to install your cert on each machine the first time the workbook is opened. If you want a more robust cert, you are going to be paying BIG bucks for it. Look up Digital Certificate on the net. Thawte is one of them, and Verisign another.

gibbo1715
08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I ve done a lot of reading on this and have found that self cert can have the always trust macros from this publisher greyed out, i understand make cert solves this problem but am unsure how to run it?

gibbo1715
08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
OK I figured out my problem and can now make a digital signature with exportable private key so my users can just tick the box always trust macros from this publisher. So i no longer need need to install the signature myself onto every machine (As i have to with self cert) and I can keep the macro security settings on high.

Can an administrator tell me if i am allowed to post that information here of is this breaching the rules about security issues?

Ken Puls
08-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, Gibbo. Glad you got your issue worked out.

As for the question, we'll leave it all posted. I don't see any harm in posting this information, as it will help somone else distribute their own code.

Cheers,

gibbo1715
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
ok, just wanted to check you guys were happy with that.

ok first you have to find the file called make cert, its usually stored in the office folder in the program files, if not you can download it from microsoft

Next open a dos window ( in XP go start - run and type cmd.exe)

move the folder containing the program (E.G. type cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office)

then type the following changing your name to whatever you want the certificate to be called

makecert -r -pe -n "CN=Your Name" -b 01/01/2000 -e 01/01/2099 -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.3 -ss My

thats it, now go to your vba editor in excel click tools - certificate then choose and add the ceertificate.

Thats it done.

you can also export it with the private key

Hope this helps

Nice to give something back for all the help you ve all given me

cheers

Gibbo

Ken Puls
08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Ever thought about making that into an article for the site? Mdmackillop made one on self cert, but it might be nice to add one on markcert....

What the differences are, why to use instead, what the pieces above actually mean...

Give it some thought! ;)

gibbo1715
08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
i ll try to find some time and do so

Zack Barresse
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
That would be great gibbo!! :yes