PDA

View Full Version : Once only data entry for multiple rows

Immatoity
08-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi

I have a question...bear in mind I am very "raw" in terms of Access..
I have a database that , to cut a long story short, throws out a big journal in the form of a table (which is produced as a result of a query)

One of the fields of the table is "Narrative" and it contains data along the lines of "M368OJB Acc Damage Wk" - obviously this is repeated for as many rows as the table has (this varies on a weekly basis).

All I want to do is get the week number in the narrative for all lines, but I only want the user to have to enter this week number once.

I would end up with narrative "M368OJB Acc Damage Wk44" or similar...

Whats the easiest way to do this, ensuring the user can only enter the week number once...

ta

xCav8r
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like you just need a query that returns all records where the narrative field has the week number that a user inputs. You can accomplish that in a variety of different ways. How were you thinking of getting the user to input that week number? From a form? And what do you need to do with the results of the query once it?s run? Run a report?

Immatoity
08-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi.. I was thinking of a form, but bear in mind I have never produced one...

I just want the week number to be added to a table that I then output to excel...the table is produced by a query...

Could the form essentially "tag on" the week number to each narrative with the string "Wk" ??

:help

xCav8r
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
OIC where you're coming from. I misunderstood what you wanted to do. You want to append Wk## to whatever text is in the narrative field. That's easy to do with an update query. Have you tried using that?

I made you an example. Take a look at the attached. Open frmSelectWeekNumber, input your number, and hit the button. That'll run this code:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdUpdateRecords_Click()

Dim strSQL As String

' Example to demonstrate updating all records

strSQL = "UPDATE tblBefore SET tblBefore.Narrative = tblBefore.Narrative & ' ' &" _
& " 'WK" & Me.txtWeekNumber.Value & "';"

' Example to demonstrate selectively updating records

' strSQL = "UPDATE tblBefore SET tblBefore.Narrative = tblBefore.Narrative & ' ' &" _
' & " 'WK" & Me.txtWeekNumber.Value & "' WHERE tblBefore.Narrative > '5';"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Me.sfrmBefore.Requery

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()

' This puts the current weeknumber into the textbox
Me.txtWeekNumber.Value = Format(Now, "ww", vbUseSystemDayOfWeek, vbUseSystem)

End Sub