PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] converting mailmerged text to wingdings

emyr
11-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi

This a problem related to the production of interim reports in a school

I have pupil data in a table and am importing this data into a word document.

There is a field which tracks effort, and the table contains 1,2 or 3

I have merged this into my document, but would like to replace 1 with a winding up arrow, 2 with a winding right arrow and 3 with a windgind down arrow.

Is there a snippet of code that that I could write which would do this, ideally in the document template, which would run as the merge takes palce

Thanks

Emyr

macropod
11-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi Emyr,

You can do this via field coding:
{={MERGEFIELD Score}-2 \# '3';'1';'2'}
where your mergefield name is 'Score' and you replace the 1, 2 and 3 in the '3';'1';'2' with the Wingding arrows.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created in the body of the document via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac) - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

emyr
11-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Emyr,

You can do this via field coding:
{={MERGEFIELD Score}-2 \# '3';'1';'2'}
where your mergefield name is 'Score' and you replace the 1, 2 and 3 in the '3';'1';'2' with the Wingding arrows.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created in the body of the document via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac) - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

Hi

I tried this and get field calculation errors in the merged document which displays as !Syntax Error

If the field SCORE contains a 1 then the expression evaluates to {=1-2 \# uparrow;sidarrow;downarrow}

Where the arrows are enclosed in single quoation marks

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

emyr
11-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Oops just got it work - taken out a rogue space!

Thanks a lot

Emyr