PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Page Break vs Section Break is one better than the other?

kathyb0527
11-06-2013, 01:11 PM
For very straightforward documents, is a page break better than a section break? I was taught (WAAAAAAYYY back in the very beginning) that you should use page breaks when needed unless re-orienting the pages or changing the header/footer. That makes more sense to me than putting in section breaks and having to worry about your header/footer getting changed. Now, new job, new boss, my department uses only section breaks to start a new page. So are there any advantages, disadvantages, to either one?
Thanks for everyone's opinion!

macropod
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Which you use depends on the document requirements (and organisational policy). If, for example, you need to change the page layout or header/footer content in a way that can't be done with STYLERED fields and/or field coding, you'll definitely need a Section break; otherwise, I don't see any particular benefits one way or the other.

Jay Freedman
11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
In many kinds of documents, you want a new page to start every time you use a specific heading style -- for example, every Heading 1 starts a new page. For that, the best method is to turn on the Page Break Before setting in the definition of the style. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format, then click Paragraph, go to the Line & Page Breaks tab of the dialog, and check "Page break before".

fumei
11-06-2013, 09:36 PM
It so much depends on requirements, and like Jay suggests, quite a lot can be built into the use of styles.