PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Column Dropdown on Word 2010 ribbon?

agent86
11-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Word 2010

Word 2010 and VBA newbie...

I need to add a dropdown to a custom tab. I know how to create the tab and populate it with buttons. I need to put a multi-column dropdown on the ribbon. I could use a single column dropdown if necessary and just parse the text for the information I want. Some links would be helpful. I have done searches on Google all day and can't seem to find what I need. I understand I will be doing this with XML. Where does the XML code go when you are finished writing it?

cjmitton
11-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I use a program called 'Custom UI Editor' to create my ribbons, I use either the examples you can insert from the program its self or I use Ron De Bruin's website for some excellent example and I also highly recommend using his site for other references too. It also has a link to download the Custom UI editor.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/win/s2/win001.htm

You can do a lot with the software and the XML is easy to pick up.

agent86
11-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Thank you for the link.

Will the program let me add a new tab and leave existing custom tabs alone?

cjmitton
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes, you can set up your own tabs and they are good from the perspective that users and not easily change / adjust them. I know a lot references on the website was to excel but the principle for word is exactly the same. I use them for my company print macro's and company / department macro's. The best way to use them are as add-ons if your users are happy to add the 'add-ons' if not then go the .dotm route by adding it to the word start up file (which I do for ease of deployment).

agent86
11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
The version of Word they already use has custom tabs from previous programming(not mine). Did your answer imply I can add my own tabs without disturbing theirs? Sorry for the confusion.

cjmitton
11-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Depends on the previous custom tabs.

If the custom Tabs have been hard coded in to the .dotm file you are using / editing then you'll need to edit that current XML but you can add your own tab in. If I remember correctly it has some sample XML built in to the program you download. so you can effectively append it to the end of the current code leaving that intact.

If the custom Tabs are one's they've created themselves with in word using the customise the ribbon function with-in Word then it will not effect them. I have many users that have there own personal tabs / quick access toolbars and none of them are affected by my own tabs.

agent86
11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Is there any documentation for the Custom UI Editor?

cjmitton
11-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Not in the program its self, I used the examples from the Ron De Bruin's excel files and the samples from the application its self to work out what to do. I had not experience in XML or ribbon 'work' but as long as you have a little knowledge of how HTML works you should be fine.

Best thing for you to do is create a new .dotm file and put a couple of basic macro's in it, then save / close. Open the file in the custom UI Editor and try to create your own Ribbon and have a bit of a play using the samples from the program to get you started, there is a button to validate the XML you've created and there is also a button to generate the 'callbacks' to the macro's as well so it helps from that side of the coding too.

There is also more examples hints and tips at: http://openxmldeveloper.org/blog/b/openxmldeveloper/archive/2006/05/26/customuieditor.aspx
Where you can also download the applications, this has some valuable information on it too. Well worth a look.

agent86
11-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Are you familiar with RibbonCreator 2010? Looks promising. Reasonably good documentation.

http://www.ribboncreator2010.de/en/?RibbonCreator_2010

cjmitton
11-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look. Hope all goes well with your project.