PDA

View Full Version : Oh what to do...when the network people block the ribbon from loading?

DaVinney
12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
The scenario is that the network folks, via a Word registry setting (group policy), have decided to block XML from loading from document files. Hence, while VBA macros are not blocked, the custom ribbon interface by which users access the macros will not load :banghead:
Any thoughts on an alternative method to get the ribbon to load? : pray2:

The registry setting is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\common\toolbars\w ord (noextensibilitycustomizationfromdocument)
When set to 1, Word will not load the Ribbon XML from the template file.

fumei
12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Um, I do not think it would be forum policy to discuss how to bypass something your network admins have set up as a group policy. Even if we may think they are completely out-to-lunch.

DaVinney
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Okay, then how about a hypothetical discussion? :whistle:

fumei
12-12-2013, 07:32 PM
What would be hypothetical? You are asking a specific question, how to circumvent an authorized policy. Change the key to not equal 1. That seems obvious, so I do not know what else would be in a discussion. I have no idea why there is such a policy, as it seems rather stupid to me, but history is full of rather stupid network decisions. It kind of makes a poke in the eye to Word.

Now, as I am not an XML or Ribbon expert (far from it), there may be some sort of way around this, but I do not know it. Maybe Greg Maxey knows.

macropod
12-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Okay, then how about a hypothetical discussion? :whistle:
Hypothetically - and practically - I'd find out why this was done, explain the implications and see if a workaround can be implemented within the corporate policy.

DaVinney
12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
No good reason why. Macros are allowed, ribbon xml not. Can still call macros using 'Customize Ribbon' dialog, although there are some functionality limitations, so not ideal. Another workaround is via the 2003 version toolbar that shows up in the Add-Ins tab in 2010. I guess someone is scared of the xml, but apparently not VBA. :roll:

SamT
12-13-2013, 02:15 PM
There is an excellent reason why, ask management and they will tell you so.

Since it is our corporate policy to not interfere with other corporate policies, you're on your own.

Personally, I would research XML security issues, and productivity gains from using it, prepare a presentation on them and ask my Department head to get me a meeting with the IT Dept head. Plan on about a month for the research and presentation, and only then ask for the meeting.

fumei
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow. That is MUCH better response than mine. Excellent suggestions.

Aussiebear
12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow. That is MUCH better response than mine. Excellent suggestions.

Not at all Gerry, since the point you made was quite valid.

DaVinney
12-13-2013, 06:50 PM
There is an excellent reason why, ask management and they will tell you so.
Done that.
Nope, just paranoia. No examples or instances of how network was negatively affected.

Are you saying the xml ribbon is inherently vulnerable and should not be used?

DaVinney
12-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Not at all Gerry, since the point you made was quite valid.Not really.
IMO responses have just been cop-outs. Instead of providing conceptual thoughts or ideas, OP is berated. No worries. If you don't know the answer or have anything interesting to add, just ignore and let the thread sink to the depths of the forum. I'm just trying to learn, guys.

Any actually insightful suggestions would be really appreciated. More reprimands, not so much.

fumei
12-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Reprimands? I do not think anyone has been giving any reprimands. And I certainly do not think anyone has berated the OP. OK, I can perhaps see how one of my responses could seem a little less helpful, but berated? The bottom line is that we can not help to directly get around policy. Other than my suggestion to change the registry yourself. But that may not even be possible, in that if the network folks are that paranoid it is likely they also disable users from messing with the registry. Our network did that.

It is not a question of not knowing an answer. It is simply that we can not assist breaking an existing policy. There is no reprimand inherent is stating this, and the original question remains valid. It is legitimate to ask how to get around things so XML ribbons work. Again, I am not an XML expert but I suspect there IS no workaround, as I think that once the policy is set (and not altered) it reigns supreme.

Which brings me back to: change the policy setting. If the XML Ribbon is THAT important (is it?) all you can do is make the case with all the formal research and advantages clearly given. If the network folks refuse there is not much else to discuss. I understand the frustration, as I had to deal with similar paranoia and narrow minded ignorance. Shrug, sometimes you just have to sigh and move on.

I would try (with an appropriately written formal proposal) bypassing the network weenies and go to management above them. These are usually not network people and may understand and agree with the advantages of using the XML Ribbon, and order to network folks to change the policy.

macropod
12-13-2013, 11:43 PM
IMO responses have just been cop-outs. Instead of providing conceptual thoughts or ideas, OP is berated.
Your attitude seems to be the problem here, not the responses you've received. No-one reprimanded you despite the fact what you're seeking help with violates the principles behind the board's rules - specifically the rules against asking hacking / cracking questions. Please familiarize yourself with the rules. You want us to help you do something that is unprincipled and quite possibly illegal. Not going to happen. Besides, if we did help you, then end result could be you losing your job! Then where would you be?

Merely posting such questions is liable to earn a reprimand and maybe even a banning at a number of boards, as it giving advice on how to do so; be thankful the Admins here are more forgiving.

Aussiebear
12-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Not really.
IMO responses have just been cop-outs. Instead of providing conceptual thoughts or ideas, OP is berated. No worries. If you don't know the answer or have anything interesting to add, just ignore and let the thread sink to the depths of the forum. I'm just trying to learn, guys.

Any actually insightful suggestions would be really appreciated. More reprimands, not so much.

Actually Gerry's point is quite correct. This forum has a strict policy of not providing any method to get around security of others software or systems. So to, is Paul's when he indicated "Your attitude seems to be the problem here, not the responses you've received. No-one reprimanded you despite the fact what you're seeking help with violates the principles behind the board's rules - specifically the rules against asking hacking / cracking questions. Please familiarize yourself with the rules." Sam also made a very good point in that you need to take the issue up with your systems' managers. It is very clear to me that you need to cool off a little, therefore I am closing this thread before it goes down any further.

SamT
12-14-2013, 10:24 AM
:thumb