PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Special Characters

Opv
12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Is there a way to simulate a series of key strokes which generate a special character within a cell? Specifically, I would like a macro which I can assign to a command button so that whenever I click the button the desired special character (ALT 0149) is inserted. I explored SENDKEYS but, unless I am overlooking something, that does not appear to be what I need. Also, I can't record such a macro. Is such a macro possible?

----- EDIT -----
Just to clarify, my objective would be to insert the desired character even if in edit mode. For example, if I already have a word in a cell and I want to divide the syllables with the said character, I would want to be able to position the cursor at the appropriate place, click the button and insert the said character at the position of the cursor, without replacing the existing cell content.

ashleyuk1984
12-29-2013, 12:49 PM
You can copy and paste that character • into the project.
Maybe place this into a variable ?? Maybe you could supply us with an example workbook with your code and we'll see what we can do.
Maybe we can come up with a better more reliable way than "sendkeys".

Opv
12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
At this point I'm only testing an idea in a blank workbook.

westconn1
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
you can do this simply from the keyboard, as long as your know the code for the character
AFAIK no code will work while in edit mode

Opv
12-29-2013, 01:22 PM
you can do this simply from the keyboard, as long as your know the code for the character
AFAIK no code will work while in edit mode

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the keyboard option. I was just trying to see if there was a way to automate the process.

GTO
12-29-2013, 05:45 PM
... Specifically, I would like a macro which I can assign to a command button so that whenever I click the button the desired special character (ALT 0149) is inserted....

----- EDIT -----
Just to clarify, my objective would be to insert the desired character even if in edit mode....

I see two issues, which you can easily test and see for yourself.

As westconn has pointed out, code doesn't run when a cell is in edit mode. At least as far as I know, this is by design (intentional) and (again, AFAIK) not something one can alter.
While in edit mode, when you go click on your command button, the first thing (or at least awfully close to the first thing) that happens is that as the focus changes to the command button, the cell exits edit mode. So right there, you can see that even if you could get the code started whilst in edit mode, the click on the command button forcing an exit to edit mode would lose where the cursor was inside the string. Does that make sense?

Just to show the part about edit mode prohibiting execution, copy this to a Standard Module:

Option Explicit

Private NextTime As Date

Sub StartIt()
NextTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:05")
RepeatMe
End Sub

Sub StopIt()
Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatMe", , False
End Sub

Sub RepeatMe()

MsgBox "Code ran at " & Format(NextTime, "nn:ss")
NextTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:05")
Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatMe"

End Sub

Now in Sheet1 of a standard new/blank workbook, add an ActiveX commandbutton, and use:

Option Explicit

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Static bolToggle As Boolean

bolToggle = Not bolToggle

If bolToggle Then
StartIt
Else
StopIt
End If

End Sub

Just as an idea (and not thought through at all really), you might want to try using the sheet's (or the workbook's) right-click (or the event of your choice) event in a specific range to run a userform. Said form could have a textbox where manipulating the string would seem easy.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Opv
12-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Mark. After reading and testing your reply, I don't think my original idea is worth pursuing further. The keyboard option appears to be the most simple viable option. I appreciate the help.