PDA

View Full Version : Paste data from word table into excel sheet while skipping hidden columns

PJ_Aghina
01-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi all,I'm new to VBA and would like to know if the following is possible and if so how I would be able to do it...I'm copying data from word into excel tables and I have got the following problem:I want to paste the data in columns b, d, e and f while column c is hidden. If I try to paste it now the data is also pasted into the hidden column. I would like to paste the data in such a way that it would just skip the hidden column.Can anybody help?

GTO
01-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Not thought through, but I am very sure the answer is "Yes". I would suggest posting your question in the WORD forum at this site. In essence, you want to grab the first column of values (in the WORD table) and the remaining three columns separately.

I would include a link to this thread in the thread started in the WORD forum.

Hope that helps,

Mark

PJ_Aghina
01-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Hi Mark,Thanks for your reply! But I am trying to create a column in Excel which is not only hidden but will automatically be skipped if one tries to paste anything in it. So I am actually trying to make a (temporarily) non existent column so to speak.Data does not originate from one word table and possibly not even from one word file. Thus it would be easier to have one rule for a column in the excel file.Greets,Pepijn

SamT
01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Is there an absolute rule that it is Column "C" that must be hidden?

Why?

I ask because there are probably many different ways to accomplish what you ultimately want.

PJ_Aghina
01-03-2014, 02:03 AM
There is no absolute rule, i thought it would be the easiest way. Though if you know of a way to just simply skip column C when pasting that would suffice as well. Many thanks if you have a solution for me!

snb
01-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Did you check your PM's ?

So what's the use of that 'hidden' column ?
Why wouldn't you put a 'hidden' column just after the last column of the pasted table ?

PJ_Aghina
01-03-2014, 03:06 AM
The sheet contains Hyperlinked article name in column c. The cells for this column contain a formula of a concatenate of Column G and D. This formula must not be pasted over. Column D wherein the article name is pasted will be hidden when all data is pasted into the document. Furthermore all the data are pasted into 40 tables which do not allow for cutting and pasting entire columns. What do you mean with PM's? How do I attach the sheet to my reply?

snb
01-03-2014, 03:33 AM
First have a look around in this forum : see 'notifications'.
There's even a FAQ section.

PJ_Aghina
01-03-2014, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the tips! I could still not find how to skip a column when pasting though. Thanks to your help the search is now refined to just skipping a column when pasting. Will i need to use VBA for this or will a special format of cells suffice?