PDA

View Full Version : VBA for mail merge

baillieston
07-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Can anyone advice me how I use VBA to save a mailmerged document.

My manual process is to :

1.Open my source file with that contains the merge field data.
2.Open my mail merge main document.
3.Select the merge to new document icon.
4.save the new doc to a new location and name.

The location and name are both in the document as a inserted merge field.

can this be automated to pick up these fields and save the file?

The location and name are not ever the same.

Thanks

Kelly
07-15-2004, 06:20 PM

can this be automated to pick up these fields and save the file?

Hi, Baillieston!

I just want to let you know that I am working on your idea right now. I read your question for the first time today (july 15), and I feel pretty confident that I can write the macro you need. However, it may take me a day or two.

So if you can wait for a few days, I will be back with an answer.

Or, perhaps someone else will come and answer before me!! Either way, if you just hang in there you are sure to get the answer you need.

I'll be back by monday at the latest with a macro for you to try.

Cheers!
Kelly

baillieston
07-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Hi Kelly,

I look forward to trying out your code.
Thanks for your help.

Baillieston.

Kelly
07-16-2004, 02:12 PM
The mail merge macro is attached below as Demo_MailM_Macro_v1.doc.zip

phwew!

Well, I have finished my FIRST version of the macro. (I have ideas on how to alter it to make a SECOND or even third version(s), but this first version should be good for testing.)

Now I am faced with the challenge of explaining it!!!

Actually, it should be fairly user-friendly, but due to the issues at stake in a mail merge, I need to clarify certain points.

Important Notes:

this macro (version 1) is designed to produce merged "Form Letters" (Therefore, if envelopes or something else were desired, alterations to the macro would be necessary)

the resulting new document will be saved in regular Word doc format (therefore, if it were necessary to save the resulting merged output as some other file - such as txt or rtf - then changes would be needed)

this macro assumes that the FIELDS that specify the path/location and the name (file name) for the final SAVE are named:

Location_To_Save
and
Name_To_Save
(The macro could easily be changed so that it would look for other fields)

Now for some directions.

First, I recommend downloading the zipped file Demo_MailM_Macro_v1.doc.zip

For those who don't download anthing ever... I will post the entire macro code at the end of this message. If you use the code from this forum thread without downloading the file, then you could paste the code into a module as part of the "Normal" template or into a module of any file, BUT BUT BUT .... when you run the macro, you NEED TO HAVE your MAIN mail merge document as the ACTIVE DOCUMENT. The macro itself will warn you about this with a MsgBox)

The method of downloading the file has the following important advantage:

The document in the download ***IS*** the main merge document in addition to being just a 'vehicle' for downloading the macro
In other words, by downloading the document, you will get almost everything you need to simply run the macro straight away.

This is what the document will look like:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kkj/vbax_special/mainfile_screenshot.gif

As you can see, some fields are already inserted for you!

(If the image above is broken then check the attachments below)

One more important step: Your data source file
I have also attached a sample data source to this forum thread. If you don't wish to download the data source file I have provided, then you MUST create your own. Obviously, the macro won't work without a source file. So, if you decide to create your own, then please look at the photograph below to see what you need to include:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kkj/vbax_special/sourcefile_screenshot.gif

(If the image is broken, then please get the GIF from the attachments below)

YOU MAY SAVE THE DATA SOURCE FILE ANYWHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER. THE MACRO WILL PROMPT YOU FOR ITS LOCATION.

Once you have the macro, the main merge file (included in Demo_MailM_Macro_v1.doc.zip), and a data source file (see below: MyDataSourceFile.doc.zip) then run the macro.

At first glance, the macro may not seem much more efficient than the usual process of clicking around on the built-in MS Word "Mail Merge Helper" box. However, the ultimate goal of this macro (at least for baillieston) is to avoid having to even specify the location of the data source file.

SO... To Baillieston (or to others who are interested) ... let me know if this VERSION ONE macro works. Assuming that the process in general is working and running smoothly, then all we have to do is REMOVE the part of the macro that prompts for the location of the data source. Then, we would include some internal code within the macro that basically sets the location of the data source as a constant.

That way, the user would only see one initial message confirming that the active doc is the main doc, and then the macro would run and finish without any further need for clicks or other interaction.

ADDITIONALLY... extra code could be added onto the END of the macro to automatically close one or more documents, or print them, or whatever else we desire.

Okay!!! I invite anyone and everyone to try this macro out and post back to me. Please feel free to post anything: questions, critiques, suggestions, ideas....

Thanks, all!
-Kelly

The mail merge macro is attached below as Demo_MailM_Macro_v1.doc.zip

Kelly
07-16-2004, 02:13 PM
The data source file is attached below

Kelly
07-16-2004, 02:14 PM
The first screen shot is attached below

Kelly
07-16-2004, 02:15 PM
The second screenshot is attached below

Kelly
07-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Sub Mail_Merge_Macro_July_2004()

Dim CorrectDocTrue As Byte
'Initial confirmation to make sure user wants to begin with current doc
Dim MyDocWithFields As String
'Remember the name of the original MAIN merge doc
Dim YesNoCancelled As Byte
'Result of a msgbox informing the user of the process and giving a chance to cancel
Dim anOpenFileDialog As Dialog
'an object used to display the "open file" built-in dialog
Dim TryAgain As Byte
'Result of a msgbox that appears if the user did not choose a file to open
Dim Name_of_Source As String
'the name of the file that the user chose in the "open file" dialog
Dim FileToSave As String
'the complete file name and path retrieved from the correct MERGE FIELDS in the data source file
Dim PathOfFileToSave As String
'the path only of FileToSave. the path and file names are retrieved from MERGE FIELDS
Dim NameToSave
'the file name only (not the path) retrieved from the correct MERGE FIELD

'************************************************************************** *
'******BEGIN WITH SOME MESSAGES TO THE USER - BELOW ************************

Beep

CorrectDocTrue = MsgBox("Is -- " & ActiveDocument.Name & " -- the desired" & vbCr & vbCr _
& """Mail Merge Main Document?""", vbYesNoCancel + vbQuestion, ActiveDocument.Name & " - Mail Merge")

If CorrectDocTrue = vbCancel Then
Exit Sub
End If

If CorrectDocTrue = vbNo Then
MsgBox "You must have your desired ""Mail Merge Main Document""" & vbCr _
& "open and active before running this macro." & vbCr & vbCr _
& "Open and/or make your main merge document the active" & vbCr _
& "window and then run the macro again.", vbInformation, "Mail Merge Macro - Please Try Again"
Exit Sub
End If

MyDocWithFields = ActiveDocument.Name

If ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Fields.Count = 0 Then
MsgBox "There are no Mail Merge Fields in the current document." & vbCr & vbCr _
& "Before trying again, please do one of the following:" & vbCr & vbCr & _
vbTab & "-Add Mail Merge Fields to " & MyDocWithFields & vbCr & vbCr & _
vbTab & vbTab & "OR" & vbCr & vbCr & vbTab & "-Choose another doc and run the macro from there " _
& vbCr & vbCr & "REMEMBER:" & vbCr & _
"You must have your desired ""Mail Merge Main Document""" & vbCr _
& "open and active before running this macro.", vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro Failed"
End
End If

YesNoCancelled = MsgBox("Let's begin!" & vbCr & vbCr & "Once you click ""OK,"" you will see an Open File" & vbCr & vbCr _
& "dialog box. Please find and select your DATA SOURCE file.", vbOKCancel, "Mail Merge Macro - Begin")

If YesNoCancelled = vbCancel Then
MsgBox "You did not click OK." & vbCr & vbCr & "The macro has been ended.", vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro ENDED"
Exit Sub
End If

'********USE BUILT-IN DIALOG SO USER CAN LOCATE DATA SOURCE FILE**********

GetDataSource:

Set anOpenFileDialog = Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)

anOpenFileDialog.Display

If anOpenFileDialog.Name = "" Then

TryAgain = MsgBox("No file was specified." & vbCr & vbCr _
& "Would you like to try again?" & vbCr & vbCr _
& "(choose cancel to quit)", vbOKCancel + vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro - No File Chosen")

If TryAgain = vbCancel Then
Exit Sub
Else
GoTo GetDataSource
End If

End If

Name_of_Source = CurDir & "\" & anOpenFileDialog.Name

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _
Name_of_Source

'*****RETRIEVE SAVE-TO LOCATION AND NAME FROM THE MERGE FIELDS***********

On Error Resume Next
FileToSave = Trim(Documents(MyDocWithFields).MailMerge.DataSource.DataFields("Location_To_Save").Value)
If Err.Number <> 0 Then ErrorHandle Err.Number, "Location_To_Save", Name_of_Source
On Error GoTo 0

If Right(FileToSave, 1) <> "\" And Right(FileToSave, 1) <> "/" Then
FileToSave = FileToSave & "\"
End If

PathOfFileToSave = FileToSave

On Error Resume Next
NameToSave = Trim(Documents(MyDocWithFields).MailMerge.DataSource.DataFields("Name_To_Save").Value)
If Err.Number <> 0 Then ErrorHandle Err.Number, "Name_To_Save", Name_of_Source
On Error GoTo 0

FileToSave = FileToSave & NameToSave & ".doc"

'*******PERFORM THE MERGE AND SAVE NEW DOC**************

Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone

With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=True
End With

Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll

On Error Resume Next

ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=FileToSave, FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument

If Err.Number = 5153 Then
MsgBox "CANNOT SAVE """ & ActiveDocument.Name & """ AS" & vbCr _
& vbCr & """" & NameToSave & """ BECAUSE THERE IS ALREADY" & vbCr & vbCr _
& "ANOTHER ACTIVE DOCUMENT NAMED """ & NameToSave & ".""" & _
vbCr & vbCr & "Please manually save """ & ActiveDocument.Name & ".""", vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro - Save Failed"
Err.Clear
End
End If

If Err.Number = 5156 Or Err.Number = 5152 Then
MsgBox "There was an error with the directory location for saving the file." & vbCr & vbCr & _
"The data source file specifies to save to: " & vbCr & vbCr & _
vbTab & PathOfFileToSave & vbCr & vbCr & _
"The specified directory and/or drive could not be found on this computer." & vbCr & vbCr & _
"Please save """ & ActiveDocument.Name & """ manually.", vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro - Save Failed"
Err.Clear
End
End If

On Error GoTo 0

MsgBox "Success!" & vbCr & vbCr & """" & MyDocWithFields & """ and """ & anOpenFileDialog.Name & """" & vbCr & _
"were merged to a new document. The new document was saved as:" & vbCr & vbCr & _
vbTab & FileToSave, vbInformation, "Mail Merge Macro - Complete"

End Sub

Sub ErrorHandle(myData As Integer, myField_inQuestion As String, SourceFile As String)

MsgBox "The data source file (" & SourceFile & ")" & vbCr & _
"does not contain a field named: " & myField_inQuestion & vbCr & vbCr & _
"This macro requires that the data source file contain" & vbCr & _
"the following fields:" & vbCr & vbCr & _
vbTab & "Location_To_Save (containing a directory path)" & vbCr & _
vbTab & "Name_To_Save (containing a file name)" & vbCr & vbCr & _
"Please select or create an appropriate data source file and try again.", vbExclamation, "Mail Merge Macro Failed"
End

End Sub

baillieston
07-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Kelly,

This looks great and looks like you have put a lot of work into it, the instructions are fab.

But......... I can't run the macro as it comes up with an error saying something like below.

"The macros in this project are disabled. Please enable"

I can't work out how to enable them.

I have clicked the option to allow macros but it still errors.

Is this something that you need to change or do I need to change something?

Thanks in advance.
Baillieston.

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Tools -> Macros -> Security. Ensure anything below High. If using 2003, trusted macros will work, just ensure that it's specified as trusted. Save, try again. HTH

Anne Troy
07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Kell: Are you for hire?
That's a SERIOUS question.
I may have a project lead for you.

Kelly
07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Ballieston,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am crossing my fingers for you.

HOPEFULLY, the problem is that (for some stupid reason) it does no good to "Macro -> Security" and change the settings once you have already opened the document.

I hope that if you change the security settings and then close down word and start all over again... then hopefully it will all work.

But I wonder,... Hey Firefyter!! Hey Dreamboat!! Were you guys able to get it to work???

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Yup, worked great for me. :) Running Win XP w/ Office XP.

lucas
07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Worked great for me also. Win XP Office 2000

baillieston
07-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Kelly,

This works great now after your suggestion, the macro does exactly as I wished. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but i have been moved to a new job and not had the chance to try it out. Would it be okay to add to this post when I am next back in the same job where I wanted to use this? Then I can ask for help with your suggestion below.

"then all we have to do is REMOVE the part of the macro that prompts for the location of the data source. Then, we would include some internal code within the macro that basically sets the location of the data source as a constant.

That way, the user would only see one initial message confirming that the active doc is the main doc, and then the macro would run and finish without any further need for clicks or other interaction. "

"ADDITIONALLY... extra code could be added onto the END of the macro to automatically close one or more documents, or print them, or whatever else we desire."

In the meantime thanks for everything, I have learned a lot by reading your code and explanations.

Good luck
Baillieston