PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Auto name & Save document with unique name

psctornado
01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi All,

I was browsing the forum and found solutions that were similar, but not quite. My goal is to run a mail merge linked to an excel source, but have it saved automatically to a field in the mail merge source.

For example : mail merge source has a file name field of : XYZ123, I would like the document to save using that name. The name will obviously change, based on whatever the file name is.

Can anyone help me modify my code to accomplish this?
:think:

Private Sub Document_Open()
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
Dim MMSource As String
MMSource = "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\My Documents\My Workbook\Workbook.xls"
With ActiveDocument
With .MailMerge
.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters
.OpenDataSource Name:=MMSource, ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _
AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, Connection:= _
"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=MMSource;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=" & _
"HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35;" & _
"Jet OLEDB:Database Loc", SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM 'Master2$`", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeAccess
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.SuppressBlankLines = True
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=False
.MainDocumentType = wdNotAMergeDocument
End With
Application.WindowState = wdWindowStateMaximize
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\My Documents\My Workbook\"
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:="Tested File.doc"
.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
End With
End Sub

psctornado
01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Maybe I should elaborate or better explain what the goal is. Is there a way to have a merge field be the name of the newly created word file? The above code will save this file as 'Tested File.doc', however I'm more interested in if its possible to have a merge field dictate how a the new word file is saved.

westconn1
01-12-2014, 04:32 AM
however I'm more interested in if its possible to have a merge field dictate how a the new word file is saved.
where is the mergefield you want to use? is it the same for every record? is it printed to the merged documents?

if the merge field is printed in the document, then can read the document to find the value
else you may need to open the data source, as a recordset, to read the correct record specifically

psctornado
01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
The mergefield will be will be found in the same source xls file. The file name will not be in the printed merge doc, thats why I was curious how to auto name the word file if the name i would like is in the source xls.

psctornado
01-15-2014, 06:16 AM
Anyone have any further thoughts with this case?:dunno

fumei
01-15-2014, 04:16 PM
If the data is in a cell in an Excel file, then just use that cell value.

psctornado
01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi Fumei,

Thats what I was thinking as well. How would I be able to code that so that the merge cell would be the name of the word doc?

westconn1
01-18-2014, 02:49 PM
try like

set xl = getbject(,mmsource)
fname = xl.sheets(1).range("x99").value ' change range and sheet to suit,
if xl.application.workbooks.count = 1 then
xl.application.quit
else
xl.close
end if
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:= fname

psctornado
01-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey Westconn1,

So I tried to give a go on your code, and think I'm getting somewhere, but may have applied it slightly in error. I'm getting an error stating : Compile Error, Sub or Function not defined.

Dim MMSource As String
MMSource = "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\My Documents\My Workbook\Workbook.xls"
With ActiveDocument
With .MailMerge
.OpenDataSource Name:=MMSource, ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _
AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, Connection:= _
"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=MMSource;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=" & _
"HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35;" & _
"Jet OLEDB:Database Loc", SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `Mail_Merge$`", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeAccess
With .DataSource
End With
End With
Set xl = getbject(, MMSource)
FName = xl.Mail_Merge.Range("I2").Value ' change range and sheet to suit,
If xl.Application.workbooks.Count = 1 Then
xl.Application.Quit
Else
xl.Close
ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\My Documents\My Workbook\"
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=FName
.Saved = True
End With
End If
End Sub

fumei
01-19-2014, 08:29 PM
You have to declare and Set an Excel object.

psctornado
01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Fumei,

Sorry...could you expand on what your eluding to? I understand some parts of VBA and coding, but sometimes I need a bit more help...as in this case :)

fumei
01-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim xlSheet As Excel.WorkSheet
Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open Filename:= MMSource
Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets(xxxxxxx) ' put your sheet name
Now use the cell range that has your filename for the Word doc.

Try doing a search for how to use application objects, and\or how to use cell references in Excel.

westconn1
01-20-2014, 03:12 AM
typo
should have been
Set xl = getObject(,mmsource)

to use fumeis code you would need to have a reference to excel

also this line is incorrect
FName = xl.Mail_Merge.Range("I2").Value
it maybe should be
FName = xl.sheets("Mail_Merge").Range("I2").Value

psctornado
01-20-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys for the help! I seem to be a bit closer. It still giving me a debug error at on the set xl line. Below is what I have that particular area. I tried to copy / paste what WestConn had above, but it seems to insert a space in the , MMSource row. Any thoughts?

Set xl = GetObject(, MMSource)
FName = xl.sheets("Mail_Merge").Range("I2").Value
If xl.Application.Workbooks.Count = 1 Then
xl.Application.Quit
Else
xl.Close
.Saved = True
End If
End With

fumei
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
If you are use Set xl, you need a DECLARE statement.

psctornado
01-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Fumei,

I declared my statement using your suggestion above, but it's still giving me an error on the 1st declare line. Thoughts anyone? :banghead:

Dim MMSource As String
With ActiveDocument
With .MailMerge
"Jet OLEDB:Database Loc", SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `Mail_Merge$`", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeAccess
With .DataSource
End With
End With
Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets("Mail_Merge").Range("I2").Value
.Saved = True
End If
End With
End Sub

fumei
01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
but it's still giving me an error on the 1st declare line What is the "1st declare line", do you mean Dim xlApp As Excel.Application ?

Do you have a reference to the Excel library? You need that for early binding.
Did you do any research on this?

BTW: in the forum, whenever you mention getting an error, ALWAYS mention what the error is exactly, including the error message. Is it the same as your first one, Compile Error, Sub or Function not defined.

westconn1
01-21-2014, 02:22 AM
try omitting the comma
Set xl = GetObject(MMSource)

psctornado
01-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Hey Fumei,

I should have checked the reference to the excel library. It looks like the only error I am receiving now is the following :

The syntax error seems to be referencing the following line :

Sorry to have not been as thorough in my last post :).

westconn1
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
needs file name argument to be enclosed in brackets

psctornado
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Hey westconn,

I added the brackets, but still getting the same syntax error as noted above. Any other thoughts?:banghead:

fumei
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
As you do not mention what KIND of brackets you used...

Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(FileName:=MMSource)

psctornado
01-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks Fumei! I was just applying the brackets around the 'MMSource' and not on the Filename as well. The last error I am getting now after making that adjustment is a runtime error - 424, 'Object Required'.

Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets("Mail_Merge").Range("I2").Value

I looked at my my references and verified I have Excel 14.0 Object library selected, as well as MS Office 14.0 Object & MS Word 14.0 Object. Any thoughts on this???

westconn1
01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
you are trying to set an object variable with a string or numeric value (from a range or cell)
if xlsheet is defined as a worksheet, it can only be set to a worksheet object, anything else would give type mismatch

try

myval = xlBook.Worksheets("Mail_Merge").Range("I2").Value where myval is a variant or (presumably) string

fumei
01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
As stated previously, you need to do some research on using objects. As westconn1 mentions you are mixing objects. xlSheet is declared as a Sheet, and therefore MUST only be Set as a Sheet. Range("I2").Value is a string value, NOT a Sheet. You can do as westconn1 posted, or

' assign worksheet object to the declared Sheet object
Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets("Mail_Merge")

' assign cell value to the FName string variable
FName = xlSheet.Range("I2").Value

' use it

psctornado
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I got it now. I think I was combining contradictory code. I'm not too familar with using objects, but this exercise has certainly and I appreciate all the help!

fumei
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey it is all a learning moment. Glad it seems to be working for you.

pselva01
02-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Can you please share the final code that worked? It would be greatly appreciated.

psctornado
02-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Hi Pselva01,

The final code was the following :

Dim MMSource As String
MMSource = "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\My Documents\My Workbook\My_Generator.xls"
With ActiveDocument
With .MailMerge
With .DataSource
End With
End With
Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(FileName:=MMSource)
Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets("Mail_Merge")
FName = xlSheet.Range("I2").Value
ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\Documents And Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Desktop\Manual Lit\"
.Saved = True
End With
End Sub

A small thing to note..

1) Make sure the excel object library is selected in word, otherwise it cannot link with the Excel properly.