PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Which VB do you buy? VB User respond?

SailFL
08-27-2005, 03:01 AM
I am thinking of starting to use VB. I would like to get some advise. I went to MS site and I could not find what I want so maybe some one that uses VB on a regular basis can help.

It looks like the latest version of VB is VB2005 or VBNet. or are they the same thing with different names. Is VB2005 just available in Beta form because I could not find a place on MS site were you can buy it. The how to buy kept sending me to 2003NET.

So you VB experts what do you advise?

Thanks

MOS MASTER
08-27-2005, 11:17 AM
The last version of VB was VB 6.03 (I think)

If you look for it I'm sure you can buy it. However its not supported anymore by the MS development team.

The new version of VB is Visual Studio .NET

The most reliable version is VB.NET 2003 (The one your guided to on the MS site)

The 2005 version is BETA and still very buggy.

But remember VB.NET is something entirly different then VB or VBA!

.NET seams to be the future for Microsoft and all arrows are pointed in that direction for development.

Good luck with your studies in .NET :moosegrin

SailFL
08-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Why do you think that is the case that they are moving toward .NET for eveything. Can you briefly explain what makes .Net different?

Thanks

MOS MASTER
08-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Well that's easy. :moosegrin

In .NET it's more easy to integrate everything.

.NET is different cause it's a complete new set of Languages. So it doesn't even resemble the way you code in VB.

Here MS announced the end of support on Normal VB:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/support/vb6.aspx

If I where you I'd download the 2005 Beta version 2 and start playing with it. It's free but buggy and you can have a feel of it.