PDA

View Full Version : Problem sharing program with another computer

hiflier
01-30-2014, 12:53 AM
I wrote an Excel loan manager program for my income property. It has a significant amount of VBA, a calendar (calendar control 12.0) and a calculator, which I wrote. I'm trying to give it to several property managers, but it fails every time I load it on any of the other computers. On one the calendar had no text showing. On another it gave a numeric error message which I didn't recognize. In each case I had only a few minutes to install it and couldn't. I'm frustrated with this, and wonder if there is a specific procedure (I realize one element is to trust the project object model) that works on all versions of Excel (mine is 2007) that I can use. Thanks.

Also, is there a way to create a standalone executable that would be distributable yet fully functional? I looked at DoneEx, but it says it doesn't handle adding or deleting sheets, which is a required function of my program. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Dave

Aussiebear
01-30-2014, 02:34 AM
First thing that comes to mind is, how many controls does it require e.g. Calendar Control etc. Have you enabled these controls?

Aflatoon
01-30-2014, 06:28 AM
The Calendar control is not a standard component for all versions or SKUs of Office, which may be your problem.

Paul_Hossler
01-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Just a thought, but see if making the install location a Trusted Location helps

(File, Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Settings, Trusted Locations)

Paul

hiflier
01-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I'll ask the managers about Trusted Locations. And I'll look into enabling the calendar control on their versions of Excel. Also, does the calendar go with the program when the program is saved? Or do I have to export the calendar separately to the zip drive and copy both to the new computer? And does it matter where the calendar resides on the new computer? Or is the calendar control for 2007 included with all versions since? Thanks for your quick replies.

Dave

Aflatoon
02-03-2014, 06:09 AM
The Calendar control does not travel with the workbook. Each machine requires the correct .ocx file in the correct location. Office 2010 and 2013 do not have the Calendar control by default so, frankly, you're better off avoiding it, in my opinion.

Paul_Hossler
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Or do I have to export the calendar separately to the zip drive and copy both to the new computer

If you do that and put it in the C:\Windows\System32 directory, you'll need to register it with regsvr32, and probably make a reference to it within the VBE

Personally, I'd go with Aflatoon on this

Paul