PDA

View Full Version : Extract only hotmail addresses

Right
02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Hello,

I have a word document which has many hotmail, gmail and yahoo email addresses separated by comma (,). Is there any way I can take out only hotmail addresses from this document to another document?

Thanks

macropod
02-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Basic steps:
1. Use Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Shift-F9 to remove any hyperlinks.
2. Format all text as hidden (make sure you have Word configured to show hidden text).
3. Use a wildcard Find/Replace to find all strings that include 'hotmail' in them (make sure you include whatever characters are used to separate the email addresses), with the replacement format set to 'not hidden'.
4. Use Ctrl-A, Copy, then Paste Special> Unformatted Text.
Your document will now contain only Hotmail email addresses.

Right
02-08-2014, 04:52 AM
Thank you for the response; unfortunately word cannot find string with hotmail.

Right
02-08-2014, 05:49 AM
I think I am making mistake in find/replacement

macropod
02-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.
Then, when I see exactly what you're dealing with, I can post the appropriate Find/Replace expression.

Right
02-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I have attached the sample docs.

Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.
Then, when I see exactly what you're dealing with, I can post the appropriate Find/Replace expression.

macropod
02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
For the wildcard Find/Replace, you can use:
Find = [[!,]@hotmail.com[,^13]
Replace = ^&
with the Replace format set to 'Not Hidden'. If you follow the reset of the instructions I posted, you'll get all your Hotmail addresses.

Right
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks a ton. it worked..

Right
02-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Is there any way to get all the emails except hotmail addresses? I also want to know how can I find all the words ending with '.ae'

Hello,

I have a word document which has many hotmail, gmail and yahoo email addresses separated by comma (,). Is there any way I can take out only hotmail addresses from this document to another document?

Thanks

macropod
02-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Is there any way to get all the emails except hotmail addresses?
In that case, all you do is a wildcard Find/Replace for the Hotmail addresses and leave the Replace expression empty.

I also want to know how can I find all the words ending with '.ae'
Find = [!,]@.ae[,^13]

PS: I don't know why, but the Find expression I gave previously for the Hotmail addresses seems to have acquired and extra '[' at the start.

Right
02-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Thank you Sir; I have removed extra character while searching.