PDA

View Full Version : Using a drop-list to categorize and insert cells

daemonion
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Please see the attached file as I feel it explains it the best.

Essentially, I am creating a template were users can categorize items they input with a drop-list.

STEP 1: User lists their items that need to be categorized in F4, F5, F6 ...and so on.

STEP2: The user then uses a drop list in H4 to "categorize" the item in F4. And the drop list in H5 to categorize the item in F5, etc.

STEP 3: Excel reads what the item in F4 has been categorized as in H4, and adds it under the appropriate cell in the template located in Column A.

EXAMPLE

STEP 1: The user adds "advertising", "bad debt" and "electric" to cells F4, F5 and F6, respectively.

STEP 2: The user clicks the drop-list in H4 and selects "Selling". This effectively tags "advertising" as type "Selling". He tags bad debt in F5 as selling in H5, and electric in F6 as Special 1 in H6.

STEP 3: Excel adds the data automatically so it looks like my attached example.

I also posted this question at OZGrid and ExcelForum, but have not gotten any replies.

DILIPandey
02-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Hi Daemonion,

Please avoid cross posting.
Can you please post the links where you have posted this query - just to check if this has been solved elsewhere :)

Regards,
DILIPandey

p45cal
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186041
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/988011-using-a-drop-list-to-categorize-and-insert-cells.html

daemonion
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi Daemonion,

Please avoid cross posting.
Can you please post the links where you have posted this query - just to check if this has been solved elsewhere :)

Regards,
DILIPandey
hey DILIPandey,

Thanks for being understanding. The link above that p45cal posted at excel forum is the only thread that has been replied to. I am currently trying MarvinP's solution with Dynamic Named Ranges. If you think there might be a better way, I am all ears. I currently have a lot of studying to do :)

DILIPandey
02-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Its ok Daemonion... that was just a heads-up :)
I know MarvinP is a knowledgeable guy and you can go with him. thanks.

Regards,
DILIPandey