PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Using J-Walk's FaceID Tool

MWE
08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
This is probably not the correct place for this, but ...

After my massive HD crash in June and the subsequent purchase of a new computer, it has taken a while to get things back to abnormal. I have been reloading tools I use in creating VBA applications and just reloaded John Walkenbach's button face id add-in. If you are like me, you can not remember even one of the faceID numbers no matter how many times they are used. If you have not stumbled across this nifty add-in, it is worth a click or two ...

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip67.htm

When I first starting using this tool, I was frustrated by my inability to keep the form on the screen while I "did other things". I made one change to the xla code to improve its use (at least for me). In the proc that actually displays the form, add "vbModeless" to the UserForm1.Show statement:

Sub ShowFaceIDs()
UserForm1.Show vbModeless
End Sub

MOS MASTER
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Mark, :yes

Yes that add-in of John is very nice.

I always use the one from KeepitCool: "FaceIT" It has a lot more options and is able to output the masks of the FaceId's as well.

Have a look at it.

You can down it here:http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/download.html

Or direct download:http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/files/FaceIT.zip

MWE
08-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Mark, :yes

I always use the one from KeepitCool: "FaceIT" It has a lot more options and is able to output the masks of the FaceId's as well.

Have a look at it.

Thanks. I will download it and play a bit.

JonPeltier
08-28-2005, 06:16 PM
FaceID addins like this are very common. I have my own, the third item on this page:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/menus.html

Mine lets me store icon images and FaceID numbers in a worksheet for future reference, and it works as a couple of commandbars, so you don't have a modal form standing in the way of progress. It seems pretty slow to draw a set of icons, though.

PowerPoint MVP Shyam Pillai has versions for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, and has even made a COM add-in version:

http://skp.mvps.org/faceid.htm

MWE
08-28-2005, 07:41 PM
FaceID addins like this are very common. I have my own, the third item on this page:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/menus.html

Mine lets me store icon images and FaceID numbers in a worksheet for future reference, and it works as a couple of commandbars, so you don't have a modal form standing in the way of progress. It seems pretty slow to draw a set of icons, though.

PowerPoint MVP Shyam Pillai has versions for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, and has even made a COM add-in version:

http://skp.mvps.org/faceid.htm
Thanks for the additional leads.

Scottie P
08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Mark, http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/045.gif

Have a look at it.

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/sad2.gif ... can't get the FaceIT xla to load. I am getting an error.
Do you happen to know what refs/controls need to be set/installed for this item Joost? http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/102.gif
I have just moved to a different (much better) PC and I likely have forgotten to install some things, etc. I did remember my MS Runtimes for a change!! :thumb

Scott

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi Scott, :yes

I think this one requires: Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0

So that would be: C:\Windows\System32\comctl32.ocx

If I'm not mistaken you should receive that from Office update if you did a full install of Office. :moosegrin

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Hi Jon, :yes

Common indeed but I can't live without them making a nice toolbar. Like many people I tent to forget ID's as well.

Tried your addin out works very nice as well. :whistle:

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi Scott, :yes .

Just to make it easy on yah I attached a copy of my comctl32.ocx (Are you on XP as well?)

Put it in System32 folder (or the folder specified in your OS)

Go to Start | Run and put in:

Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\COMCTL32.OCX

Windows NT or 2000:
regsvr32 \WINNT\system32\COMCTL32.OCX

Windows XP:
regsvr32 \windows\system32\COMCTL32.OCX

Now it should say something like DllRegisterServer ... succeeded or something like that. (After you press Enter of course)

Later :moosegrin

Scottie P
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Believe it or not I have just -as of this weekend- moved to a new machine and installed Win XP Pro and SP2, but the ocx is not there...:dunno

Thanks for thinking of the zip file - I am going to set it up now!:thumb

Scott

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Well that's strange... I knew the first version of Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 was setup by VB 5.0 (So that's why I had it)

But I would have sworn COMCTL32.OCX (Sp2) was part of Windows XP Pro installation. (If there's time I'll track down it's origin)

O well it's a must have anyway cause it has some very nifty controls.

Glad I could help and keep me posted. :moosegrin

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:08 PM
BTW what is your Office version?

I'm having thoughts now it should be part of Office 2003 as well? (But my brain is spinning at the moment...I'm not sure) :bug:

Scottie P
08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
I am using Windows XP Pro with:
Office '97
Office 2K
Office 2K2 (XP) SP2

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Ah Ok that explains it sorta..then please tell me you've installed them on Multiboot! :giggle

Or are they all installed on the same drive? :eek:

Ken Puls
08-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm having thoughts now it should be part of Office 2003 as well?

I have a copy in my Office11 folder (although it's in my System32 directory as well). So I think you'd be right on the Office 2003, Moose.

:)

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I have a copy in my Office11 folder (although it's in my System32 directory as well). So I think you'd be right on the Office 2003, Moose.

:)

Yes that must be it cause I use dtpicker control a lot and I have never registered that ocx on a Office 2003 machine before but almost always on lower versions...

O well that settles it for me! :moosegrin...(Getting tired too...Moose needs his sleep)

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Ahums..Scottie??

Did you do the regsvr thingie yet? :giggle (Help desk needs to close for tonight) :rofl:

Scottie P
08-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Yes - just (we are about to get stampeded by some serious weather so I was saving and closing up some things just in case :) )

It is cool - the FaceIT addin is there now. I haven't had a chance to fool around with it yet, but I will later for sure.

I did some further investigating but to no avail - I thank you for the zip file!! :)

Scott

MOS MASTER
08-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Good call!! I've heard it's pretty spooky with the weather on your side of the Ocean? (At leas New Orleans and such places)

So watch out!

Glad I could help yah out. Now I can finaly go to bed! :deepsleep

Scottie P
08-29-2005, 04:00 PM
never need to wait up for me Joost...LOL!! Have a good sleep!
Oh...yes - all office installations are in their own burrows! No Office integration in that respect :beerchug:

S

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
never need to wait up for me Joost...LOL!! Have a good sleep!

Well I was kind a curious if I guesed the right reference correct so I couldn't wait to see if it al worked out. (But yes normaly I'd go to bed instead)

Oh...yes - all office installations are in their own burrows! No Office integration in that respect :beerchug:

Good to hear that cause Office is not build to run multiple versions from one physical drive. (At least some program's like Word/Outlook don't like that too much)

So you've done well! :giggle

Later buddy.

Scottie P
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Oh, they are all on the same drive - same partition too!
They live in different directories. The only time I notice anything 'different' is when opening Word.
If I have had Word XP open and then open Word 2000, it runs an installer cab or something, sets itself up first and then opens. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary really.

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh, they are all on the same drive - same partition too!
They live in different directories. The only time I notice anything 'different' is when opening Word.
If I have had Word XP open and then open Word 2000, it runs an installer cab or something, sets itself up first and then opens. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary really.

Yes that's the kind of stuff I mean there can only be one version of Word identified with the registry at one drive. (That's why they installer runs)

I remember a problem with Outlook refs disapearing too when you installed a older version after there was a newer version already present.

And Office has many shared files that can change between versions so plenty of possible problems to come. (Not that you will always see them...just a bigger change)

I always install my Office versions on a separate version of Windows.

My development pc at home has 3 Disks:
* D OS: Win 98 Sec Ed| Office 97 PRO
* E OS: Win 2000 PRO | Office 2000 PRO
* F OS: Win XP PRO | Office 2002 PRO

These are all on one machine who has a triple boot.

It's that I'm to busy at the moment but I want to change too Virtual Machines in the future. (That will relieve me of rebooting a system)

Then I can simply swith to a new virtual machine and have fun with that version.

Well I hope all will work nicely together on your machine.

Later...:whistle:

XL-Dennis
08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Joost,

I use vmWare 5.0 to create virtual guest systems. I finally made my decision to go with wmWare and skip MS Virtual PC.

In order to run it I made an investment of 4 GB RAM and 2 x 250 GB IDE discs. I use the Debian distribution (Linux) as the host operating system and I get many guest systems with different kind of configurations. In that way I can smoothly switch between the systems and also test application in different enviroments. The host and the guest system shares all the networks resources.

I love it :thumb

All the Office versions can coexist and the best solution is to install the latest version first and then move back one version. In that way all the references are kept appart and no shared files and version libraries are overwritten. It gives a smooth solution that works exceptionell well. From my standpoint only one version of Outlook should be used and the other versions exist only for test purposes.

BTW, I sincerely hope that all versions You use are legal copies :thumb

Kind regards,
Dennis

Anne Troy
08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
LOL! Everyone has their "best way", right?

I have 97 through 2003, all in different folders, all on the same drive, installed oldest to newest.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/best_install_procedures_for_microsoft_office.htm

(That's why they installer runs)

You can cancel out of the installer, and the app runs fine. Only the most recent version you opened will NOT try to run the installer each time.

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Joost, :yes

I use vmWare 5.0 to create virtual guest systems. I finally made my decision to go with wmWare and skip MS Virtual PC.

Hi Dennis, :yes

That's funny I downloaded vmWare to try it out. (As well as MS Virtual Server) but like I said no time yet....:(

In order to run it I made an investment of 4 GB RAM and 2 x 250 GB IDE discs. I use the Debian distribution (Linux) as the host operating system and I get many guest systems with different kind of configurations. In that way I can smoothly switch between the systems and also test application in different enviroments. The host and the guest system shares all the networks resources.

I love it :thumb

Indeed a friend of mine has the same setup and it looks great! And very easy to switch!...I'll have mine soon enough.

All the Office versions can coexist and the best solution is to install the latest version first and then move back one version. In that way all the references are kept appart and no shared files and version libraries are overwritten. It gives a smooth solution that works exceptionell well. From my standpoint only one version of Outlook should be used and the other versions exist only for test purposes.

Yes they can coexist but it doesn't always work you say it. Like I mentioned I had a higher version once 2002 and I installed a lower version 2000 and after that both versions of Outlook where screwed up due to overwriting of object library.

Also the problems with Word are a PITA and all runs much smooter from a separete os.

But I agree if you have no other choise and it works why not use all on one physical drive. :giggle

BTW, I sincerely hope that all versions You use are legal copies :thumb

Don't worrie my Moose-friend! :moosegrin I've been using Office for a long time and have great sponsors!

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
LOL! Everyone has their "best way", right?

Indeed princess whe all have our preferences! :bow:

I have 97 through 2003, all in different folders, all on the same drive, installed oldest to newest.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/best_install_procedures_for_microsoft_office.htm

You can cancel out of the installer, and the app runs fine. Only the most recent version you opened will NOT try to run the installer each time.

Not on my pc it won't! It will run the installer every time you switch versions. That's normal IMO cause Word relies heavily on it's DATA key that needs to be rebuild to work properly. :whistle:

XL-Dennis
08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
My best Moose friend :)

Yes they can coexist but it doesn't always work you say it. Like I mentioned I had a higher version once 2002 and I installed a lower version 2000 and after that both versions of Outlook where screwed up due to overwriting of object library.

The older I get the more I realize that things does not always workout as expected...

Anyway, the vmWare is nowadays quite inexpensive and compared with Virtual PC the latest version 5.0 bring the host/guest-system no a new level :)

But make sure You got enough RAM otherwise it will be a slow experience and disappointment.

I've been using Office for a long time and have great sponsors!

Congratulations! Not everyone has this situation and as for me I'm forced to negotiate with myself and that's not an easy task...

Funny, today we write the year 2005 and the version 97 still hang arounds. It will be most welcome when we can uninstall it and put it in a museum together with the rest of the outdated versions.

After all, Office 12 is on it's way!

TTYL,
Dennis

Scottie P
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Initially, I was hoping to partition this drive [as it is 80gig (formatted at 74gig available) and I am only using about 21 gig with all apps and files installed now...] but I must have missed the opportunity to do so when formatting. :( The second partition set would have allowed for some storage, etc but I could just as easy set a Vdrive or something.

As Anne mentioned, it seems [and works] the best to start with the earliest version first and then install chronologically forward; so, in my case 97 then 2000 then XP, all in their own directory on the drive. Of course, make sure to tick the settings that will keep the earlier versions or they will be uninstalled/overwritten.

I remained at Outlook 2000; I really don't care much for OL XP so I stayed with 2000 ELSE there is one of each of the MS Office apps available here. It is convenient for testing and everyone seems to get along well. :)

S

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
My best Moose friend :)

The older I get the more I realize that things does not always workout as expected...
Not that old yet but the last time I had some reflection I found out I forgot a lot of stuff! :giggle (Also a PITA)

Anyway, the vmWare is nowadays quite inexpensive and compared with Virtual PC the latest version 5.0 bring the host/guest-system no a new level :)

But make sure You got enough RAM otherwise it will be a slow experience and disappointment.

No worries buddy I love RAM. My laptop has 1024 and my Devolpment pc has 2 1000mb Slot's filled...(So now worries here) :giggle

Ok I'll take your advice and install something else then MS for a change. (Have to do something crazy ones in a while)

Congratulations! Not everyone has this situation and as for me I'm forced to negotiate with myself and that's not an easy task...

Funny, today we write the year 2005 and the version 97 still hang arounds. It will be most welcome when we can uninstall it and put it in a museum together with the rest of the outdated versions.

After all, Office 12 is on it's way!

TTYL,
Dennis

Very much agreed Office development is not that easy if you have to support 97 as well.
I recently did a job for 97 to 2003 and wanted to write a com addin but did a normal .dot file instead because it was better suited for that version range.

But Office 12 is on the way.??? The last time I looked is a long time ago but I forget the links to follow that topic.

Any ideas on links for the new version of Office? And any idea on the new Development area (VBE) in 12? Is it going to be .NET based? (I'd like to think so)

O well if you have links that would be nice. :moosegrin

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I remained at Outlook 2000; I really don't care much for OL XP so I stayed with 2000 ELSE there is one of each of the MS Office apps available here. It is convenient for testing and everyone seems to get along well. :)

S

Well Scotty...If you're happy with it...I'm happy with it. :cloud9: (It has to work...no more no less then I'm happy)

JonPeltier
08-30-2005, 01:09 PM
I have Office 2000, XP, and 2003 on one drive, different directories. I only have Outlook 2003, which is much better than the prior versions, but I need all the other versions to support my clientele.

In Excel, the versions play nice together (sometimes with multiple instances of multiple versions all going at once!), except that my custom chart workbook is hosed. The latest version installed is the one which generally tries to start when you double click on a file.

In Word, I find it's the latest version used (exited, that is) which tries to open when you double click a file. The installer comes up when opening from the Start menu, which I suspect means the version being started isn't the most recent used, so the registry is confused.

When I automate one app from another, the version of the called app that opens is the same as above: XL and PPT is always the latest installed, Word the latest used. Since I use code from Office 2000, I don't have much problem with versioning.

I have Office 97 on an old old machine, and as soon as I finish with one project, I will retire it for good.

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I have Office 97 on an old old machine, and as soon as I finish with one project, I will retire it for good.

I'll hope to get rid of that one too within the end of this year! :giggle (But you'd be suprised how much Office 97 users there still are...over here mostly government)

Perhaps you have some good links on the new version of Office (12) still to come or other news on that matter?

Later..:whistle:

Ps very nice to read all those Multiple Office version users replies.

JonPeltier
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I'll hope to get rid of that one too within the end of this year! :giggle (But you'd be suprised how much Office 97 users there still are...over here mostly government)

I find that almost half of my clients are using 2000. Only one is still using '97, and it's hardly worth the hassle to keep supporting it. A small number are using XP, while a growing number, perhaps around 1/3, are using 2003. Many of my clients are small cusinesses, so they upgrade when they get a new computer.

Perhaps you have some good links on the new version of Office (12) still to come or other news on that matter?

Well, I'm under NDA, but even if I weren't I couldn't tell you much. I follow a handful of blogs. J-Walk has one about the new version, and he's had precious little to post. A few MS people are also blogging, mostly about how great all the XML and VSTO stuff is going to be.

Ps very nice to read all those Multiple Office version users replies.

So many of us like breaking the rules.

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 02:44 PM

thanx!
Yes I know you can't tell too much about it. No problem.

I've been reading in to: http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx

There's some nice information there and a fill in to get more information. I started filling it in but It send me al over the place and I didn't like filling in all that information.

O well I'll be surfing around for more on a later moment.

PS..VSTO is really cool stuff and I intend to do a lot more with it. From the little bits I've seen of it you can make realy impressive stuff with it. So I hope it will be incorparated into the new version too...:whistle:

XL-Dennis
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, if it wasnt for all the NDAs we would be able to share much more knowledge ;)

Anyway, VSTO 2.0 may be a *workable* platform to create solutions for the coming new Office version. The biggest issue seems to be the timelag between releases of the VS.NET (including VSTO) and the releases of Office versions.

As with all new tools it will take some time to fix all the problems so we need to have patience. But there are some really cool features that is well worth to take a closer look into :)

O'boy, after working a longer time in the interface of VS.NET I want a new modern interface in Excel asap!

Take care everyone,
Dennis

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
He guys is NDA still: "Non-disclosure agreement"?

If so I'll put it in the Glossary so others will know.

And yes Dennis I've been playing too with the whole Visual Studio package...build me a Intranet in ASP.NET too was very much fun to do with a lot of headaches I may add. :thumb

I have hight hopes for .NET and VSTO in the future...and have to repate myself can't wait on the new IDE for version 12

XL-Dennis
08-30-2005, 03:25 PM
He guys is NDA still: "Non-disclosure agreement"?
If so I'll put it in the Glossary so others will know.

Yes and please do so :thumb

Perhaps You should also add VS.NET = Visual Studio.NET to help people out.

All the best from,
Dennis

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Done also added XML (Extensible Markup Language) cause it was missing as well. :thumb