PDA

View Full Version : Macro speed

maninjapan
02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I am running a macro to calculate and analyse stock data, involving a large number of large files and a complete run can take anywhere between 12-36 hours ( I understand there may be better solutions but I just stick with what I know....).
I started with just one PC, an intel i7, however to speed things up, I started running on a second computer, an older Core 2Duo. (Same macro, different stocks)
Now I assumed, that my newer i7 would get through the macro a lot quicker, however after running them side by side, I have found that the Core 2Duo is getting through the macro at least twice as fast as the i7( Itested using the same files on both to check). Is someone able to offer a reason for this huge gap in performance? Below are the basic specs for both pcs. I can provide more information regarding the macro and/or hardware if required. Is older CPU better designed to handle this sort of work? Or something to do with the difference in OS?

Intel Core 2Duo E8500 @ 3.16 , 4gb memory , 256gb SSD, OS - XP, 2010 office
Intel i7 960 @3.2 ,6 gb memory, 256gb SSD, OS - Win 7, 2010 office

Thanks in advance!

westconn1
02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
i can not really help, except to add that one of my machines with faster cpu and more memory has more problem with excel crashing than other lesser machines
also i have found in the past that loops (without doevents) running on a w7 (32) machine are very hard to break (ctrl break), whereas on XP machines no problem
so from that i assumed that w7 was processing faster
is your later machine x64?