PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Hiding error messages

Wil Moosa
08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
At work I'm on a network. Within a shared folder there is a workbook with plenty hyperlinks (to subfolders within the same shared folder). When I activate a hyperlink I get the message:

Access is denied
\\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\diversen is not accessible

When I click okay? the folder I?m looking for is opened. The message is annoying though?

I asked the guys at the helpdesk but they said that \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\diversen is a folder I can not access. I do not access that folder (I guess) but somehow it gets triggered.

What I want to achieve is that the error message does not show up (the hyperlink does open the folder intented). I thought that Application.displayalert = false in an auto_open sub would do the trick... but it does not. It seems that it only works when embedded in a macro. I activate the hyperlinks manually.

Anyone suggestions here?

MWE
08-28-2005, 04:38 PM
At work I'm on a network. Within a shared folder there is a workbook with plenty hyperlinks (to subfolders within the same shared folder). When I activate a hyperlink I get the message:

Access is denied
\\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\diversen is not accessible

When I click okay? the folder I?m looking for is opened. The message is annoying though?

I asked the guys at the helpdesk but they said that \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\diversen is a folder I can not access. I do not access that folder (I guess) but somehow it gets triggered.

What I want to achieve is that the error message does not show up (the hyperlink does open the folder intented). I thought that Application.displayalert = false in an auto_open sub would do the trick... but it does not. It seems that it only works when embedded in a macro. I activate the hyperlinks manually.

Anyone suggestions here?
Welcome to the forum.

I do not have an immediate suggestion, but will try a few things and get back to you. In the meantime, I am sure that others will offer better suggestions.

By-the-way, you are going to get some kidding about your UserName. Lately anything even vaguely related to "moose" has drawn lots of comments.:devil:

MOS MASTER
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
By-the-way, you are going to get some kidding about your UserName. Lately anything even vaguely related to "moose" has drawn lots of comments.:devil:

Did you ring master? :moosegrin

Welcome to vbax Wil! :hi:

Wil Moosa
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
I discovered something today related to the error message mentioned. As you can read early on the hyperlink is a link to a folder and not a file. An example path is \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\Diversen\Gedeelde Documenten

When I add to the adress of the the hyperlink a filename present in that same folder (e.g. \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\Diversen\Gedeelde Documenten\Thisfile.doc the error message does not show up. So the error message is related to the fact that I want to open a folder.

Does this help to find a solution?

MWE
08-30-2005, 02:59 PM
I discovered something today related to the error message mentioned. As you can read early on the hyperlink is a link to a folder and not a file. An example path is \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\Diversen\Gedeelde Documenten

When I add to the adress of the the hyperlink a filename present in that same folder (e.g. \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\Diversen\Gedeelde Documenten\Thisfile.doc the error message does not show up. So the error message is related to the fact that I want to open a folder.

Does this help to find a solution?

this suggests several things to my tired brain (see below):

it may be that you do not have general access to the folder, but have access to the file. I think that is possible
it may be due to the embedded blank in the folder name. At one time there was a "no embedded blanks" rule for files and folders (I still follow that rule). I have noticed that embedded blanks in link paths can (still) cause problems with certain programs. It would be interesting to see if there is a subfolder called (just) Gedeelde in the Diversen folder. If so, you probably do not have access rights to it and do have access rights to Gedeelde Documenten
If the above is or sounds like so much horse pucky, please read on ... I have been sawing wood (by hand) all day (we heat with wood several days per week) so I am very tired and my brain might not be functioning well

Zack Barresse
08-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Welcome to vbax Wil! :hi:
Actually, Wil has been registered with us for a while, and is a frequent visitor to MrExcel.com. He just hasn't posted since he joined! :D

Good to see you again Wil, hope things are still well with you. :yes

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi Wil, :yes

Didn't noticed you where Dutch speaking as well first....

I was wondering if you edit the hyperlink is the path in there turned relative?
If so If you browse back to the path of the folder does it keep it's values then?

I've heard problems like this in the past with UNC paths going relative after a save in Excel...:whistle:

Could you recheck all your security settings on that folder. Check security inheritance as well. (Perhaps with your local sys admin)

MOS MASTER
08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Actually, Wil has been registered with us for a while, and is a frequent visitor to MrExcel.com. He just hasn't posted since he joined! :D

Aha...ok my bad I only look at postcounts in general! :devil:

Kun je het mij vergeven wil?

Wil Moosa
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Good to see you again Wil, hope things are still well with you.

Everything fine, thanks for asking.

Kun je het mij vergeven wil?

Sure...

I will reread the comments so far a few times more... This whole server stuff is a complete new ball game to me.

MOS MASTER
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Sure...

I will reread the comments so far a few times more... This whole server stuff is a complete new ball game to me.

Glad to here that. :yes

That was the only stuff I could think of but I'll have a look later if it doesn't help you further.

Later..:whistle:

Wil Moosa
09-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I was wondering if you edit the hyperlink is the path in there turned relative? If so If you browse back to the path of the folder does it keep it's values then?

I didn't know exactly what you meant :doh: but got my answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291182 at point 7.

What happens to me is that a path (e.g. T:/ documents/2005/august) changes when the file is saved (e.g. ../documents/2005/august. For my purpose that is a good thing as the drive letter of the shared folder (see my first posting in this thread) is different for every user and therefor nobody will experience any problems with opening the hyperlinked folder in h?s or h?r shared folder. Still, this message that easily can be clicked away is annoying:motz2: ...

Could you recheck all your security settings on that folder. Check security inheritance as well. (Perhaps with your local sys admin)

I'll do... tomorrow at work as I can not recreate the error at my home computer.

it may be that you do not have general access to the folder, but have access to the file. I think that is possible

Unlikely, I can fully access the T-drive (which for me is the drive letter of the shared folder) and it's subfolders.

it may be due to the embedded blank in the folder name. At one time there was a "no embedded blanks" rule for files and folders (I still follow that rule). I have noticed that embedded blanks in link paths can (still) cause problems with certain programs. It would be interesting to see if there is a subfolder called (just) Gedeelde in the Diversen folder. If so, you probably do not have access rights to it and do have access rights to Gedeelde Documenten

For a good understanding of my part, where is the embedded blank here \\ms03-zorggroep\datams03\diversen (file:///ms03-zorggroepdatams03diversen)? If you are not specifically refering to the mentioned example... there is a chance that th?t is the fact in at least 25% of the hyperlinks in my workbook. I need to check if th?se foldrs give the error message or that ?ll folders give this error message.

I'll check out the above and will find my way back here...:beerchug: