PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Click&Type fields lose the helptext

VeryTerry
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Hello, This problem just appeared today... I've never experienced it before.

I set up a template that has several click and type fields; e.g., {MACROBUTTON Nomacro [helptext]}. In the past, I could click on it to select it and overwrite it as I typed. Today, when I tried the very same procedure, it repells the cursor, and I have to hold the shift key down, cursor over it and then type. And when I click on it, the click and type field changes to "[xxx]," and the helptext is no longer visible. This happens with all my click and replace fields now.

Has anyone had this problem? What happened? How can I get it to work like it used to? (she asks despairingly :()
Thanks!!
Terry

macropod
03-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Without actually seeing the problem document, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a document to a post with some representative content (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.

VeryTerry
03-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I sheepishly admit that the problem was my own doing. A while ago I was making a template with lots of click 'n' replace (cnr) fields and thought I would save time by making a macro that would insert a cnr field for me when I needed it, just putting xxxx in the help text portion. {Macrobutton nomacro [xxx]} (I named the macro nomacro). Later, when I was reviewing a template that had cnr fields in it, when I clicked on the field, it suddenly changed to [xxx]. So, duh, when I clicked on the field, it activated the nomacro macro! Here's the code:

Sub nomacro
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
"MACROBUTTON nomacro [xxx]", _
PreserveFormatting:=False
End Sub

So I discovered something. I don't know if it'll ever be useful though...
Thanks for your response....
Terry

macropod
03-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Yep, that'll do it! Every time.