PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Arrrgh! My Excel Toolbar Is Corrupted!!

Cyberdude
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
I've just lost my magnificent Excel toolbars. Here's the files I'm aware of:
Excel11.pip
Excel11.xlb
I thought the "pip" file was the one, but I'm not sure. Even more important, where is the version that Excel actually uses. I have no fewer than 5 of the "pip" files in different locations. Some are backups I've created, but I haven't had much luck trying to replace the current one. I have a feeling that I'm not putting the replacement in the correct folder. It seems to be in:
C:/D&S/myname/Applications/Microsoft/Office, but I'm not sure that's the production location or not. Anyone an expert in these matters?

Zack Barresse
08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey Sid,

This KB entry may help shed a little light. :) ..

http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=78

HTH

TonyJollans
08-31-2005, 02:04 PM
There is personalization and customization. Customizing is what you do; personalizing is what Excel does for you based on your usage patterns.

The XLB file is the toolbar file and holds customization details. (Just like Word's Normal.dot) it can sometimes get corrupted and may have to be deleted to get Excel working properly.

PIP files are the 'personalisation' files - they hold details of recently used menu options, the data behind the display of shortened menus and the removal of icons from the Standard and Formatting toolbars so they fit on one line. If you delete your PIP file, Excel will create another one and reset the 'personalisations' to a just-installed state. Your PIP file is in the folder you named - Excel's default is somewhere under the installation root folder.

Cyberdude
08-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanx, Gang. Good stuff. Regretably, I was unable to recover it for some odd reason, but I've just finished the rebuild and I'm in business again. :beerchug: