PDA

View Full Version : Opening CSV files disables / uninstalls add-ins

cplindem
04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Every time I open a CSV file (by double-clicking it), Excel opens, but any add-ins I had installed are now uninstalled. I understand that CSV files cannot contain VBA code, but my code is in the add-in, so I had thought it should still be available. The add-ins I had installed don't even show up in the add-ins list. Furthermore, if I close Excel, then open an XLSX file, the add-ins are still disabled. I have to go back through the menu system and re-install them. This can't be normal behavior .... yet it happens to me on multiple computers... I even tried this with a very simple macro (saved as an XLAM add-in) that contains only a MsgBox. Can anyone else reproduce this? I can't imagine Microsoft intended add-ins to break every time a CSV file is opened...

To recap:
- If I open an XLSX file, then open a CSV file, the add-ins are available and work as intended on the CSV file.
- If I open a CSV file directly, the add-ins are removed. They stay removed until I re-install them through the menu after restarting Excel.

Kenneth Hobs
04-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Is it your addin or all? See if this helps: http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/CreateAddIn.aspx

cplindem
04-17-2014, 12:11 PM
All add-ins. I just tried it from the sample XLA file in that article. Opening a CSV file directly disables it.

What do add-ins do when you open a CSV file directly?

Ago
04-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Can you post the code in the add-in?
There is no answer to 'what an add-in does when you open a csv', it's how the code is written.

cplindem
04-18-2014, 08:37 AM
When I asked what it does when you open a CSV, I meant 'what happens to the add-in itself?' The code inside the add-in is never run, so it's irrelevant. As I mentioned in the original post, I even tried it with nothing but a MsgBox, just to be sure.

The problem is when opening Excel by opening a CSV, the entire add-in is disabled. So I'm wondering if that happens to everyone.

olegvolf
06-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Hello To All
I am sorry for intruding your thread I am new in this and do not know how to start a ne post.
Please see below a code that I am working on that I have a few problems:

Sub opebcsv()
Dim wbI As Workbook, wbO As Workbook
Dim wsI As Worksheet
Set wbI = ThisWorkbook
Set wsI = wbI.Sheets("Sheet1") '<~~ Sheet where you want to import
Set wbO = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\volfs_000\Desktop\cradle-7200_4_5_new\Copy (10) of cradle7200_4_5_tom.csv")
wbO.Sheets(1).Cells.Copy wsI.Cells
wbO.Close SaveChanges:=False
Kill (wbO)
End Sub

I was wondering if I can change the open file line to -- the way that I will get a window to choose a folder and than the file that will be pulled is the latest one.
Second question is if I can set a creation range dates of the files wich are pulled

Thank you

Oleg

Ago
06-23-2014, 01:20 AM
Hello To All
I am sorry for intruding your thread I am new in this and do not know how to start a ne post.
Please see below a code that I am working on that I have a few problems:

Sub opebcsv()
Dim wsI As Worksheet
Set wbI = ThisWorkbook
Set wbO = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\volfs_000\Desktop\cradle-7200_4_5_new\Copy (10) of cradle7200_4_5_tom.csv")
Kill (wbO)
End Sub

I was wondering if I can change the open file line to -- the way that I will get a window to choose a folder and than the file that will be pulled is the latest one.
Second question is if I can set a creation range dates of the files wich are pulled

Thank you

Oleg

Like this?

Sub opebcsv()
Dim wsI As Worksheet
Dim fd As FileDialog
Dim objfl As Variant

Set wbI = ThisWorkbook

Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
With fd
.ButtonName = "Select"
.AllowMultiSelect = True
.Filters.Add "All Files", "*.*", 1
.Title = "Select file"
.InitialView = msoFileDialogViewDetails
.Show
For Each objfl In .SelectedItems
Set wbO = Workbooks.Open(objfl)
Next objfl
On Error GoTo 0
End With
Set fd = Nothing

Kill (wbO)
End Sub

Not sure what you mean with the second question.

olegvolf
07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Like this?

Sub opebcsv()
Dim wsI As Worksheet
Dim fd As FileDialog
Dim objfl As Variant

Set wbI = ThisWorkbook

Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
With fd
.ButtonName = "Select"
.AllowMultiSelect = True
.Filters.Add "All Files", "*.*", 1
.Title = "Select file"
.InitialView = msoFileDialogViewDetails
.Show
For Each objfl In .SelectedItems
Set wbO = Workbooks.Open(objfl)
Next objfl
On Error GoTo 0
End With
Set fd = Nothing

Kill (wbO)
End Sub

Not sure what you mean with the second question.

THANKS

It works great.