PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the proper control for a form

JPQ
04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Hello, I am trying to find a control that mimics the behaviors of a table with a relationship (i.e. has the plus sign to show the child records from the parent). I don't want a form with a subform, showing only one parent record at a time with all the corresponding child records. I want to be able to show many parent records with the added functionality to click the plus sign to display the children. I need to put this (hopefully) on a form since there are updates that I may need to react to and displaying this dataset in “table” view does not allow me to trap events.

Any assistance, of course, is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SoftwareMatt
05-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Create your form as if it were a continuous form with a sub form on it but choose Datasheet view. This will give you the little plus button you desire to view the child records.

Bob Phillips
05-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Sounds as though you want a treeview. Userforms have such a beast in More Controls.

JPQ
05-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Create your form as if it were a continuous form with a sub form on it but choose Datasheet view. This will give you the little plus button you desire to view the child records.

JD,

Thanks for the reply. I tried this but essentially got the same results as the regular table view (with the plus signs for the relationship). What it does not afford me is any type of forms controls to handle record updates, or any events really. Am I missing something else here?

JPQ
05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Sounds as though you want a treeview. Userforms have such a beast in More Controls.
xld,

What is the exact name of the control I want to add to my form? I have read some posts around tree view, but have not used one yet, nor do I know what it looks like or if it will accomplish what I'm looking for here. Thanks.

Bob Phillips
05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Here's a good pointer http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?194-Using-a-Treeview-Control