PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2007 to Excel 2010 Incompatibility

RollingWood
05-11-2014, 05:04 PM
I have spent about 7-8 years developing software for a small trucking firm that essentially automates the driver's daily trip report. It consists of a multiple worksheet workbook that uses a lot of VBA to capture contents, build a historical database and create fleet truck DOT reports. Everything has been working fine with the move to Excel 2010 until recently. Now I encounter a message box that says "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." No clues, no idea where the problem is or what it is all about. I have backed out things just added but to no avail. Frequently, the cursor will not be an arrow with the workbook starts. When it turns to an arrow, as soon as I touch a cell, I get the error.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem? Any clues on how to try to chase it down? I've thought about the Inquire Toolkit on Excel 2013 to see if that would be any help, but I'd probably have to start a subscription to Office 365 to get it. I've had problems trying the Office 2013 Professional Plus trial, but I may have to go to Microsoft to try to get that to work. Appreciate any tips anyone can give.

Terry Sturgeon
Kalamazoo County, MI

Paul_Hossler
05-11-2014, 06:41 PM
My 2 cents --

1. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

2. I've heard that is any module is near 64K, then you can get into problems. I've split modules that get too large

3. 2010 xlsm files are really a zip, so I've renamed them as .zip and opened it and poked around. One time I found that I had MB's of styles and didn't realize it

4. Worst case was rebuilding it from scratch into a new workbook, code and worksheets. #1 (CC) has an option to Export to a folder, and a corresponding option to import from a folder, so that part was easy. I did NOT copy the worksheets to make sure that would not just transport the error. Copy Paste, tedious but safer.

snb
05-12-2014, 12:33 AM
@paul

No need to rename to zip.
I open wikth Izarc, that is integrated in the right click mouse menu.

office 2007 also consists of zip files.