PDA

View Full Version : ACCESS or EXCEL

awade74
05-19-2014, 03:11 AM

Looking to eliminate wasted data entry. Every year when a new contract renews, I have to modify the "main" rate sheet then open up each customer to modify the customer rates.

Suggestions?

OG Loc
05-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Might want to think about having a main rates sheet for setting the ones you want constant over all customers, then a customer rate sheet for each year where you just have a table of customers and classes and all the different rates you want inserted into it. Then you could essentially just have one more sheet where you pick a customer and year and have the table be filled out by LOOKUP functions looking at your main sheets. This is moderately complicated and is essentially making Excel behave like a database.

This whole operation would indeed be easier in Access, but still not completely trivial, complicated enough that it would be hard to explain the precise details over a forum. Depending on how much Access experience you have, I would say attempt to store your data in there and organise it using queries, even if in the end you just dump the data into excel for the final report.

I know I'm not being very specific! Do ask more questions if you like.

ranman256
05-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Access!

awade74
05-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Thank you ranman256

My question is how? By any chance did you open the attachment?