PDA

View Full Version : Consulting work recommendations

helpplease
05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
I have put together a model in Excel that is implemented mostly through VBA code (~1300 lines). The code works but is slow and clumsily written by yours truly. Now that the code functions, I'm looking to hire an expert on a contract basis to review the code and re-implement it to make it more flexible and efficient. Basically I want someone to take my code as a blueprint and re-code it properly.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I have struggled to find people with the right skills and figured this might be the ideal group to ask.

Bob Phillips
05-27-2014, 02:30 AM
You have a couple of options. You could go to one of the rent-a -coder sites and drive down the price, but you will probably get a job that is commensurate with the price. Or you could commission someone who really understands Excel, understands VBA, and can offer extra value in design and implementation. Those type of people, of which I consider myself one, are not cheap, and may be beyond your budget. 1300 lines of code is nothing exceptional, I have an app at the minute with 2,000+ lines of code and another 2,000 plus lines of SQL code in the database, and the author of a well known commercial app recently told me that his app has 80,000 lines of code (admittedly, including C++).

I am sure there are also various levels in between the two extremes, and the success will also be heavily dependent upon your ability to explain the app, its objectives, its target market, its functional ethos and so on.