PDA

View Full Version : How to concatenate a multi result query to 1 string

afslaughter
05-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Greetings,
I am a beginner and I'm working on a office chat dbase for learning purposes. In a perfect world I would be able to achieve what I wanted with a continuous form that the message field "can grow". This is because I would really like to have a multiline capability for the message. The table structure I have worked out is a "message" "conversation ID" and "date/time" field. I will filter the form with the "conversation ID" and sort by the "date/time" field. The only other way I figure to get the multiline capability I want is to query the all "conversation ID" results into one field and put it into a textbox. Because I am a beginner I understand that what I am asking for may not be the best solution so I am totally open to any other approach. A big thanks for any assistance.

jonh
05-30-2014, 01:40 AM
You haven't really told us what the problem is. What kind of multiline capability do you need?

I'm guessing since you mention 'can grow' it's about the size of the text boxes for long and short messages?

Access is great for storing and manipulating data. Everything else, not so much.

I personally would use the web browser control (or write an hta (depends on security; you might have issues accessing the database from the browser)). Knowing how to write html/css is very handy and your outputs/reports will look much better and be far more flexible than anything Access can manage.

afslaughter
05-30-2014, 06:33 AM
The problem is finding a way to display the full message in the form with all of the older message so you can see the full conversation. I'm trying to duplicate a standard chat window as closely as I can with access. If I can display the messages like you would see in a report text box with "can grow" enabled it would be great. The box wraps the text and increase the height of the box to display all of the information just for the records that need it and you can see all of the other messages sorted by date/time. That does not seem possible with the forms limitations. The only other way a can think of doing the same is with a query. So the query will have multiple results and I need to combine those to one string just for display proposes to an unbound textbox. Thank you for your help.