PDA

View Full Version : [SLEEPER:] Linked Excel-chart fails to update, probably because of lack of write-access

EirikDaude
06-03-2014, 04:12 AM
I have a PowerPoint presentation which displays several linked Excel charts, inserted into the presentation by copying the chart from Excel and then using Paste special -> Paste link -> Microsoft Excel Chart Object (see below)
http://i.imgur.com/HDIg1q3.png

So far, so good. And as long as I am the only user using the spreadsheet the link points to, everything goes swimmingly, and the presentation keeps updating the chart as expected. However the spreadsheet the chart is located at is on a network drive, and most of the time other users will be using it, meaning that PowerPoint can't get read/write access to it, which seems to cause the updating process to stall. PowerPoint tries to open and close the file where the chart is located several times, each time prompting the user if they want to open it with just read access, or if they want to be notified when the sheet is available for editing. It then closes the sheet again, presumably after trying to copy data. Most baffling of all, after doing this 3-4 times the chart in the presentation does get updated...

So, my question is: Is there any way to have an updated version of the chart in the presentation, without PowerPoint necessarily having r/w access to the sheet?