PDA

View Full Version : Best way to protect Master Public Document from modification

BonesDT
06-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I publicly distribute word documents to our office. We all use Word 2010. They are .docx files that I store somewhere on our server and then I create a shortcut icon that I store in a public folder so that others can copy & paste the shortcut to their desktops and get live updates.

I've been using the "Password to Modify" feature, which works almost perfectly, except I don't like the pop-up that comes up. It confuses less-tech-savvy employees and they just think the program is broken or viewing the file is also password protected, so instead of clicking Read Only, they just X-out and give up.

I've tried the "Restrict Editing" feature, but I make frequent updates and it was very cumbersome and I had to remember to restore the password every time and I think it left the master document vulnerable to changes while I was in there and had it unlocked.

Is there a better way? Ideally, I would love the Password to Modify feature, but the document opening cleanly in Read Only unless a certain User is opening it or unless you actively try to change the document or press a particular button. I'm willing to convert to .docm & use VBA if necessary, but it would have to default to Read Only if there are any issues like Macros not enabled.

macropod
06-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Why not save a PDF copy of the document and upload that. Simple and - in most cases - quote sufficient.

ranman256
06-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Exxxxcellent!

BonesDT
06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I left something out. I also have VBA code that prevents opening the document if it is re-saved to someone's desktop.

I'm trying to full proof this system. I store a master .docm file in a protected undisclosed folder. It has VBA code that checks the path name and cancels opening if the path is not right. I then create a shortcut icon & put it in a public folder that I advertise everyone can copy & paste from to their desktop (in case they get a new restored computer). The shortcut makes sure they get live updates when I change the master file and the VBA code makes sure they properly copy & paste & retain the shortcut and not try to save the master file or create a copy from the shortcut preventing the live updates.

So the .pdf method won't work, because people may try to save a copy from the shortcut to their desktops & then they won't get live updates. Also, it would be a PITA to create a .pdf every time I update.

I just tried using MS' Information Rights Management Service, which is user (actually email address) based, but unfortunately, it requires everyone wanting to view the document to sign up & log in to Windows Live.

I then tried to dictate the readonly setting based on Environ("UserName") through VBA in the Document_Open subroutine, but I found out you can't change the ReadOnly property at this stage.

Again, the password to modify feature is NEAR IDEAL; however, I hate that automatic pop-up on open.

Anything else?

macropod
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
I left something out. I also have VBA code that prevents opening the document if it is re-saved to someone's desktop.
Hate to rain on your parade, but that's pathetically weak protection. It breaks as soon as someone answers 'no' to the 'run macros' prompt or sets their macro security level to high. It also permanently breaks down as soon as they save it using Save As and save it in the docx format. In any event, there's nothing to prevent someone copying the content and pasting it into another document. Your security is more apparent than real.

Also, it would be a PITA to create a .pdf every time I update.
Really? PDF security can be set to prevent content copying and/or printing, too, neither of which a Word document provides.

BonesDT
06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Hate to rain on your parade, but that's pathetically weak protection. It breaks as soon as someone answers 'no' to the 'run macros' prompt or sets their macro security level to high. It also permanently breaks down as soon as they save it using Save As and save it in the docx format.

I did think of this, then I considered making the Master Document (the one that Desktop Shortcut Icons refer to) a blank document with VBA code that inserts the update-able-text from another document ... but then this doesn't protect against Save As .docx after the text is inserted. This would be a rare occurrence though.

In any event, there's nothing to prevent someone copying the content and pasting it into another document. Your security is more apparent than real.

I'm not dealing with skilled hackers here; my sole concerns are impatient & computer illiterate employees that just bang keys to get something to work with as little pop-up & warning messages to cancel as possible. All "security" measures I take are to prevent things from being done incorrectly.

Really? PDF security can be set to prevent content copying and/or printing, too, neither of which a Word document provides.

Like I said, people here have a knack of copying & pasting the same document multiple times and storing them on their hard drive. PDF won't be able to benefit from the VBA code that will make sure you are opening a shortcut to the Master file rather than opening a static copy that has old information.

Thanks for your reply. Do you suggest a better way using MS Word?

macropod
06-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Like I said, people here have a knack of copying & pasting the same document multiple times and storing them on their hard drive.
And that is exactly what you are not preventing. This is basic basic basic user-level stuff, not something that requires "dealing with skilled hackers". It is the "computer illiterate employees" who will answer 'no' to macro security prompts. And who controls macro-security settings in your organisation? Do you know what every user's settings are? And anyone who can open the file from your server can save a local copy in docx format. Again, very basic, not hacker stuff.

If you don't want users making local copies, then don't provide them access in a format that encourages doing so. Use the proper tools and display the content in a secured web page.

BonesDT
06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
So I'm not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying that I can setup PDFs to prevent copying & pasting static versions onto a local hard drive? I'm not aware on how to do that.

Use the proper tools and display the content in a secured web page.

Looks like we're getting to my answer! Can you just expand on the proper tools and this web page. Are these web features in Acrobat or are you now recommending using a standard website for access to this info. Thanks again.

macropod
06-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Are you saying that I can setup PDFs to prevent copying & pasting static versions onto a local hard drive?
No, I said you can configure PDF security to prevent copying of content from the PDF. You cannot prevent someone copying the PDF file once they have it.

Can you just expand on the proper tools and this web page. Are these web features in Acrobat or are you now recommending using a standard website for access to this info.
These are not Acrobat or Word tools, but web-page design tools. I'm suggesting that, instead of trying to protect files, you need to protect the content from being downloaded in the first place. Once someone has access to your file, you've lost control over how it's used. Simple. You can achieve better security by displaying the content (not the file) on a secured web page.