PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Hyperlinking from Excel to Word bookmarks

MWE
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I have had a consistent problem hyperlinking from Excel to bookmarks in Word documents. I can navigate to the document and then manually add the link text required for a particular bookmark. But if I click on the BookMarks button after selecting the target Word file, I get an error

Microsoft Excel could not open this file or could not parse a file of this type

The problem is consistent across three op/sys (Win2K, WinXP/SP1 and WinXP/SP2) all running essentially the same version of Excel2000.

Any thoughts?

Killian
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, the XL dialog for bookmarks only seems to allow references within the workbook ("bookmark" being, therefore, a complete misnomer)
You can do it by using the HYPERLINK formula synax:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Documents and Settings\Killian\Desktop\Test.doc]bmkTest", "A freindly link name")

where "bmkTest" is the name of your Word doc's bookmark

MWE
09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah, the XL dialog for bookmarks only seems to allow references within the workbook ("bookmark" being, therefore, a complete misnomer)
You can do it by using the HYPERLINK formula synax:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Documents and Settings\Killian\Desktop\Test.doc]bmkTest", "A freindly link name")

where "bmkTest" is the name of your Word doc's bookmark
thanks for the reply.

I know several "workarounds", I was hoping that the implied functionality actually worked (and I was doing something wrong:banghead:)

Killian
09-02-2005, 10:36 AM
I was hoping that the implied functionality actually workedIndeed, clicking a "Bookmarks" button and expecting MSExcel to parse an MSWord document and list it's bookmarks doesn't seem like too wild an assumption, does it? :whistle:
but then, it's this kind of "MSOffice Integration" that keeps VBA coders in business :)

MWE
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Indeed, clicking a "Bookmarks" button and expecting MSExcel to parse an MSWord document and list it's bookmarks doesn't seem like too wild an assumption, does it? :whistle:
but then, it's this kind of "MSOffice Integration" that keeps VBA coders in business :)

smells like a good KB