PDA

View Full Version : Automatically run a File Shortcut based on a Recurring Appointment in Outlook

osuee85
06-10-2014, 07:05 AM
First off, thanks to anyone who can help me with this... I have been at quite the impasse the last few days with regards to figuring it out!

Here is the situation... I have a recurring appointment saved in my outlook calendar that is set to remind me to open a file shortcut. Because I cant give out the shortcut, let's call the shortcut "ABCD". The recurrence is set to run at 11:30 am every Tuesday and Thursday for an infinite amount of time.

What I would like is an outlook macro that will fire on the recurrence and automatically open the file shortcut "ABCD".

Is there a way to do this and if so, how? (Please post your code suggestions when replying, it helps me understand it better when I see it)

I tried the Private Sub Application_Reminder () avenue, but didnt hit on anything there.

If this question has already been answered, my apologies for the duplicate post! Thanks again for all of your help, it is very greatly appreciated!

westconn1
06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
application reminder should work if done right, show the code you tried there, it should have an item object passed to it, so you can check if it is the specific reminder you want to work with

to open a shortcut you can use the vb shell, or API shellexecute, or even winscript's run method, depending which is most suitable for the type of shortcut
if it is a URL and you want to fully automate the task, you can create an instance of internet explorer to do so in background

Charlize
06-12-2014, 03:40 PM
maybe he better use the taskscheduler of windows ... I use it to run a batfile that runs several vbs files every 5 min. works like a charm, it checks some folders on a network drive. Every pdf in that folder get's mailed to the user of the folder and afterwards the files are deleted.

Just a possible solution off course,

Charlize