PDA

View Full Version : Noob question - amending 2 lists of names matched by one indentifier

dirtychinch
06-11-2014, 02:17 AM
Hi all,

So, I'm completely new to MS Access, and am trying to battle through various tutorials etc. At the same time, I'm thinking about how to generate this database for work, and having a little go at starting it.

First hurdle - we currently run an Excel database (which has been deemed no longer sufficient), which contains names for sites as well as an 8 digit identifying number. We also receive data from a supplier, with the same identifier, but different site names as we have our own protocol.

How can I have the site names in one table replaced by that of the other table? I'm guessing some sort of append query, but it's not something I understand properly yet.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathon

ranman256
06-11-2014, 06:43 AM
That would be an UPDATE query. You want to alter 1 field and replace it with another.

dirtychinch
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks a lot :) no doubt I'll have more questions, but I shall research update queries.

jonh
06-12-2014, 04:21 AM
Put your site names in a separate table and use a ‘one to many relationship’ and you won’t need to update anything.