PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] How Beneficial Is "Destination:=" to Copy?

Cyberdude
09-03-2005, 03:21 PM
When I do a copy I generally use the format:

Range("A1").Copy Range("C2")

But I just became aware of the "Destination:=" parameter, and I'm not sure what it does for you (if anything). If I used it then I would write:

Range("A1").Copy Destination:=Range("C2")

Seems like additional clutter if it's not doing anything (or is it??).

mark007
09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Both lines of code above are equivalent.

Naming the fields can be useful for some functions, for example suppose I had a procedure:

sub MySub(Optional Arg1 as Integer, optional Arg2 as Integer, optional Arg3 as Integer)

andf I wanted to pass an argument (2) to arg3 but nothing to arg1 or arg2. There are 2 ways or doing this:

Mysub ,,2

or

MySub Arg3:=2

Both do the same thing but the second is slightly neater in this case to avoid using commas - it is easier to read.

If I only wanted to pass a value (5 say) to arg1 then I could use:

MySub 5

or

MySub Arg1:=5

As it's the first parameter I would be unlikely to use the second approach. The difference though is merely coding style and makes no real difference.

:)

Bob Phillips
09-03-2005, 05:15 PM
If you think you can always rely on MS never to change arguments or their order, and never to accidentally issue a release without screwing some up, then there is no need to worry about using named arguments.

But ...

Cyberdude
09-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanx, Guys. I get it. I just never thought of it in the context that mark007 explained. It's not so mysterious after all. :friends: