PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Where is the download

Tenspeed39355
09-05-2005, 05:35 PM
When I download a file from a web site where is the file kept on my computer.
I would like to look at the file before I put it in a excel ss? The problem I am having is after I do copy and then open a ss and do a paste in the ss it takes 50 seconds for the file to download into the ss. All the people I have talked to
can download the file into their ss in about 10 seconds. I use comcast cable. I think the problem is getting the data from somewhere on my computer to the ss.
Can you help with the problem?
Max

Sir Babydum GBE
09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi Max,

It could be anywhere... In the Temporary Internet Files folder perhaps?

Generally your PC "remembers" the last location you saved an internet file to. So if you start the process of downloading something else, you may get a prompt box which contains a suggested file path. That may be where your file is.

Alternatively, if you know what the file is called, why not go to "start / search / all files and folders" and type all or part of the name of the file and let it run. If you switch to "detail" view, you should be given the file path of your elusive download.

MWE
09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
When I download a file from a web site where is the file kept on my computer.
I would like to look at the file before I put it in a excel ss? The problem I am having is after I do copy and then open a ss and do a paste in the ss it takes 50 seconds for the file to download into the ss. All the people I have talked to
can download the file into their ss in about 10 seconds. I use comcast cable. I think the problem is getting the data from somewhere on my computer to the ss.
Can you help with the problem?
Max
Further to what BabyDum stated, ...

You should be able to control exactly where downloaded files end up. The default for IE is to ask you to open/store downloads and if store, you decide where. In FireFox, the default for store is the desktop. To change that, go to Tools | Options | DownLoads and select appropriate options (I recommend that the system ask you each time)

Download duration depends on:

the speed of your connection
the site from which you are downloading, i.e., exactly how they handle downloads
your system (but mostly on the first two)