PDA

View Full Version : SHARING DATABASE

stevembe
08-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Thanks for reading. I have completed my first access database and have saved it to a shared network drive and some users have MS Access stored on their PCs and some don't. Those do not can still open the database and view it, enter data but this data is not viewable by others. Can anybody advise the easiest way to allow all users to input data and for it to be immediately visible to all other users?

stevembe
08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Further to the above it is only when the form is closed and reopened that it updates. Is there anyway round this?

ranman256
08-20-2014, 05:36 AM
Confused....
1. are you saying MsAccess is NOT installed on the PC and they can still open the db? (seems impossible)

2. Is this db split? The backend tables on the network and the front end on the user's PC?

stevembe
08-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Confused....
1. are you saying MsAccess is NOT installed on the PC and they can still open the db? (seems impossible)

2. Is this db split? The backend tables on the network and the front end on the user's PC?

Hi ranman, the db is not split and I have checked the other machines, the MS Office suite does not have Access listed plus when they open it it just comes up with the startup form, no menu options or anything. Now I am also getting a message saying "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes you may not be able to save them later". I have to click OK around six or seven times to get rid of this message. Under Options, Client Settings, Advanced Shared as selected as the default open mode.

ranman256
08-20-2014, 06:14 AM
You MUST split the db for multi persons to acccess it on the network. BE (tables) on the network, and FE (forms/queries, etc) in a users private folder.
This should stop most of your problems.

stevembe
08-20-2014, 06:39 AM
We are not permitted to store things on our C drives. Are there any implications if I store both the BE and FE in the shame shared network folder and all users open the same FE file?

ranman256
08-20-2014, 08:47 AM
you cannot open the same file on network and I didnt say C drive. A private network folder. \\folder\bob (file://\\folder\bob), and \\folder\sam (file://\\folder\sam).
each having their own copy of FE.
but only 1 copy of BE that each FE links to.

stevembe
09-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Ignorantly ranman256 I did not come back to you on this for which I apologise. Thank you, your advice was perfect and everything is running fine. I appreciate your patience and help.