PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Outlook VBA Move / Delete based on item type (Help)

DKY
08-20-2014, 04:40 AM
I'm looking for outlook help in writing some vba to look in my deleted items and find the different types of items in there and then differentiate between items I want and items I don't want. With the items I want I would move to a folder called "Trash" and with the items I don't want I would have them deleted permanently.
With that said I suppose my first step is to figure out how to determine all of the items within my deleted folder and decide which ones I want and don't want.
when I run this code

Public Sub GetTypeNamesDeleted()
Dim myOlItems As Outlook.Items
Set myOlItems = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderDeletedItems).Items
Dim msg As Object
Dim s As String
Dim n As Integer
n = FreeFile()
Open "C:\Users\U00JBK7\test.txt" For Output As #n
For Each msg In myOlItems
Debug.Print TypeName(msg)
s = TypeName(msg)
Print #n, s
Next msg
Close #n
End Sub
it tells me that I have the following types in my deleted folder:
AppointmentItem
MailItem
MeetingItem
ReportItem
PostItem
SharingItem
DistListItem
TaskItem
ContactItem
Now that I know that how do I know by looking which one's I would want and which ones I don't want. Is there an icon / type matcher somewhere? When I scroll through my deleted items I have no idea what's considered an "AppointmentItem" or a "MeetingItem".

westconn1
08-20-2014, 02:45 PM
I have no idea what's considered an "AppointmentItem" or a "MeetingItem".

while most are easy, for testing, you can figure out which items are which try like
if typename(msg) = "AppointmentItem" then msg.display
try on small collection of items else you might have too many items displayed

you could also add the item subject to your output like
print #n, s, msg.subject

DKY
08-21-2014, 04:34 AM
Alright, well here's my code thus far! Thanks for the help! It checks the Deleted Items folder and if it's a mail item it will mark it as read and move it to the Trash folder. If it's not a mailitem then it will delete it. The one thing I can't figure out is why it's stopping at the halfway point. I ran it when I had 1760 and it left me with 880 items in the deleted items folder. I ran it again and ended up with 440, again and then 220. Weird huh? anyone have any ideas?

Public Sub GetTypeNamesDeleteOrMove()
Set myOlItems = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderDeletedItems).Items
Dim oTarget As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Set oTarget = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").Folders("MyMailboxName").Folders("Trash")
Dim msg As Object
For Each msg In myOlItems
If TypeName(msg) = "MailItem" Then
msg.Unread = False
msg.Move oTarget
Else
msg.Delete
End If
Next msg
End Sub

Charlize
08-21-2014, 08:00 AM
When you want to delete / move items, you better start from the last one in your collection of items. Also better use a counter instead of a for each loop.

DKY
08-21-2014, 08:34 AM
How do I do this? Do you have an example of how to use a counter and how to start from the bottom?

westconn1
08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
try like

For msg = myOlItems.count to 0 step -1 ' work from end to top, else counter is messed up by removing items
If TypeName(myOlItems(msg)) = "MailItem" Then
myOlItems(msg).Unread = False
myOlItems(msg).Move oTarget
Else
myOlItems(msg).Delete
End If
Next msg

Charlize
08-21-2014, 11:27 PM
@westconn1 : wouldn't the 0'th item gave an error since it can't be processed.

For msg = myOlItems.count To 0 Step -1 ?

westconn1
08-22-2014, 02:37 AM
thnx charlize, my bad
should of course be
for msg = myolitems.count to 1 step -1

DKY
08-26-2014, 11:50 AM
I get a type mismatch when I run the code on the "msg". Should I Dim it something other than Object?

westconn1
08-27-2014, 02:18 AM
just change the variable name
in this case the variable type should be integer

DKY
08-27-2014, 06:18 AM
That's it, I didn't know what type of variable it should be. Works like a charm now. The finished code is below and in case anyone else wants to use it you replaced "MyMailboxName" with the name of your mailbox and I put it in my Microsoft Outlook objects / ThisOutlookSession so that it runs every time I start outlook. This is going to help me a lot, big thanks to westconn1 and Charlize!

Private Sub Application_Startup()
Dim msg As Integer
' Start of moving items from DeletedItems to Trash folder and deleting all items that are not MailItem
Dim oTarget As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Set oTarget = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").Folders("MyMailboxName").Folders("@Trash")
For msg = myOlItems.Count To 1 Step -1
If TypeName(myOlItems(msg)) = "MailItem" Then
myOlItems(msg).Unread = False
myOlItems(msg).Move oTarget
Else
myOlItems(msg).Delete
End If
Next msg
' Start of moving items from SentItems to Sent folder and deleting all items that are not MailItem or MeetingItem
Dim myOlItemsSent As Outlook.Items
Set myOlItemsSent = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderSentMail).Items
Dim oTargetSent As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Set oTargetSent = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").Folders("MyMailboxName").Folders("@Sent")
For msg = myOlItemsSent.Count To 1 Step -1
If TypeName(myOlItemsSent(msg)) = "MailItem" Or TypeName(myOlItemsSent(msg)) = "MeetingItem" Then
myOlItemsSent(msg).Unread = False
myOlItemsSent(msg).Move oTargetSent
Else
myOlItemsSent(msg).Delete
End If
Next msg
End Sub

Marzio
11-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi,

I try to test your code in OUTLOOK 2013, but the statement:

Return Runtime error

Regards
Marzio

westconn1
11-21-2014, 12:41 AM
you should have started a new thread for this question

as i do not have outlook 2013 installed, hard to test your code, maybe someone else can, or i might try later on a different machine