PDA

View Full Version : Should I look for a solution?

mshbhwn98
08-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I'm want to make a combobox with multi-select features. I know I should use a list box for this but a listbox does not have some of the features of a combobox and is not as aesthetically pleasing. I would like to create a box with the features of a listbox like MatchEntry so I can start typing a name. But I also need teh ability to select multiple items from the list. Ideally I would like a listbox that is 1 row thick with a dropdown that I can select multiple items from.

I'm not asking for someone to write the code for this but I am asking what might be the best way of going about doing this. I thought about using a combination of a listbox and combobox. I am not an expert but I'm keen to learn and since there are plenty of experts on here I thought they might be able to tell me if it's possible. Or a better method. Or If I shouldn't bother. That sort of thing.

Kind regards

GTO
08-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Just a "rookie" opinion, but FWIW, I think you "can't get there from here" so-to-speak. I believe that conceptually, a combobox is meant for selecting only one thing from a drop-down, and thus, multiselect is out the door. Think of it; with a drop-down, selecting an item is what hides the drop-down area. With that, the other desires (matchentry) are moot. Does that make sense?

Mark

mshbhwn98
08-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Yep makes sense. Thanks Mark. I guess I was after some sort of excel 2010 filtering type option. So when you click on the dropdown you get a list of everything in that column (or in my case a list of names) and you can pick and choose what you want. But instead of it being a filter I would like to go through what has been selected and use it as a input in something else.

Sounds like I'd have to build it using multiple objects.