PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How Do I Execute an Addin I Just Loaded??

Cyberdude
09-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I just downloaded an add-in and loaded it by clicking on its name in the Addins dropdown list. I thought doing that would show its name in the Tools menu, but I don't see it. Now how do I execute it?? :bug:

mvidas
09-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi CD,

The add-in will only appear in the Tools menu (or any other menu) if instructed by code to do so on the addin_install or addin_open events. What addin was it? Could it be an addin that just simply allows you to use some different formulae (like the analysis toolpak), or was it external-application specific?

Matt

royUK
09-07-2005, 12:56 AM
There are explicit instructions on installing an addin here

http://www.excel-it.com/addins/freeadd-ins/instructions.htm

venkat1926
09-07-2005, 06:07 AM
I just downloaded an add-in and loaded it by clicking on its name in the Addins dropdown list. I thought doing that would show its name in the Tools menu, but I don't see it. Now how do I execute it?? :bug:
Perhaps I have not understood the problem. you must have downloaded the add in and parked in your harddisk. go to excel tools - addin and click browse on righthand side and goto the addin file (itwill a file with extension .xla) and click that file and then click ok . automatially that add in will be in the list of addins with tick mark.
hope you succeed in this

Cyberdude
09-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Hey, Matt, the name of the add-in is "XSFormatCleaner", which is suppose to help folks who get the error "too many cell formats". I would assume that it's something that I have to initiate rather than being a library.
RoyUK, I looked at your reference, and while it is a good reference for installation, it doesn't say how to execute the addin. I had already followed the inistructions in the reference.
As Matt said, some addins are actually libraries and don't get executed directly. As far as I know this isn't one of those, unless it's something that runs in the background and trys to keep excess formats from occurring. I'll try to find the source again and see if I missed something.
Otherwise, am I correct in assumming that the name of the addin should appear in the Tools list?

mvidas
09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I just downloaded the same thing, and nothing is added to the Tools menu.
Strangely, MS decided to add it to the File menu
"Clear Excess Formats in " & activeworkbook.name
(runs the ClearExcessRowsAndColumns macro)

"Clear Excess Rows/Columns"
(also runs the ClearExcessRowsAndColumns macro)

Matt

Cyberdude
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Jeez, I would never have thought to look in the File dropdown list, but sure 'nuff there it is in all its glory. Thanx, Matt. I looked at the Microsoft instructions again and it said to doubleclick the .xla file to initiate it. Well, maybe, but all I got was blank Excel file. http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/friendship.gif

mvidas
09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I did the same thing, looked for it and couldnt find it. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it normally to see if it would show up then, and couldn't. Took me a couple minutes to look in the File menu because, though it does deal with the file, it definately belongs somewhere else!
Nice add-in though