PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Data with many categories

blumfeld0
09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Hello - I hope someone can help.

I have a large amount of data. The format is simple. I have a name column, a score column, a category column. This is just an example.

All i want to do is put each category (and corresponding score and name) into new columns. That's it. Please see attachment of exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you very much!

ranman256
09-26-2014, 06:23 AM

Run the A2Z macro.

blumfeld0
09-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks ranman. When I change the category to a string of letters - a word- rather than a letter, it doesn't seem to work. Also, note that my category names are not in alphabetical order. Lastly, is it possible to a put a blank column after "Name Score Category" before the macro moves on to the next category. Thanks.

ranman256
09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
nope, the loop is based on letters. Youd have to change the FOR 65 TO 90 loop to allow strings.

p45cal
09-26-2014, 02:38 PM
try this:
Sub blah()
Dim Uniques As New Collection
If Not ActiveSheet.AutoFilter Is Nothing Then ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range.AutoFilter
Set SourceData = Range("A1").CurrentRegion
SourceData.AutoFilter
On Error Resume Next
For Each cll In SourceData.Columns(3).Offset(1).Resize(SourceData.Rows.Count - 1).Cells
Uniques.Add cll.Value, cll.Value
Next cll
On Error GoTo here
With SourceData
DestColm = 6
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each itm In Uniques
.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=itm
SourceData.Copy Cells(1, DestColm)
DestColm = DestColm + 3
Next itm
End With
SourceData.AutoFilter
here:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
The above code is in the attached. On sheet2 there is a button, click it to run the above code to satisfy yourself that it works then adapt it for your needs.